North Dakota, 2009

Dean Parisian

Pamelot, TN Ghost Ranc MT San Jose del Cabo, MX
KattEagleSwan.jpg

New Beretta Shotgun -- $1,500
Air Fare to North Dakota -- $500
Waterfowl License -- $150
Duck Inn Lounge in Marion, ND burger -- unavailable, only frozen pizza
Standing in a North Dakota slough with your 13 year old son at your side trying to harvest one of the toughest birds on the North American continent - PRICELESS

roadracer

Congrats on a memory shared with your son. My days a field are always better when spent with my kids.

That thing is huge and out of simple ignorance what the hell is it?

Dean Parisian

Pamelot, TN Ghost Ranc MT San Jose del Cabo, MX
Whistling Swan a.k.a. Tundra Swan......

It is NOT a Trumpeter Swan............which you can tell by the yellow color scheme on the bill......two handy things to have with when swan hunting are a range finder and binocs....

They are truly the toughest birds to kill I can imagine and I've been killing geese since the 3rd grade.

roadracer

So do you use a shotgun with turkey spot and stalk strategies or some sort of decoy? I am guessing 12ga with 3 1/2 is recommended. I think my seven year old could ride that thing.

rukiddin

I've killed several in NC but the lottery style drawing and bandwagon duck hunters have made it more difficult to obtain a permit in the past few years. They are fun to shoot and make a "thud" unlike anything else when they hit the ground. IMO they are one of the dumbest birds on the planet, but what they lack in brains, they make up for in grit!! My biggest one was 87" wingtip to wingtip. Back in my swan hunting days, you could stand in a field with a white shirt on, and they would decoy to you.

Taylor

Are they THE biggest of the waterfowl in North America?
I have always heard that.
Seen a few in West Tennesse, and when you see them, you KNOW they are are something you do not see every day.

Latest posts