Non-rubber Jaw Traps???

MR Yote

Anyone got any update on the potential change to non-rubber jaw traps being legal for land trapping in TN??? Thanks.

TnHoss

My understanding is you don't have to use rubber jaws if you don't won't too. I was told you can now use regular jaw,offset jaw,double jaw or laminated jaws but the jaws have to be at least 1/4 thick. I am waiting on the new regs. to come out so I will know for sure.

MR Yote

Thanks, I bought a few #3 dbls offsets stock in hopes that all I would have to do is add laminations. Glad the TWRA finally wised up.

jodyt

Cushion-Hold Traps per 2017-2018
Cushion-hold trap means a commercially available spring-loaded trap with offset jaws designed to capture an animal by closing upon one (1) of its legs and that is so constructed that the edges designed to touch the animal are composed of nonmetallic pads that eliminates or mitigates injury to the trapped animal. Cushion-hold traps that have an outside measurement that is 9 inches or less, as measured at the widest point, are legal. Cushion-hold traps are the only steel traps legal for trapping in the open and on top of the ground, provided that the trapper has specific written permission from the landowner to use the trap.

you can use metal jaw traps in water only. this is the same as its been for years.

scn

jodyt":3ds3fyf7 said:
Cushion-hold trap means a commercially available spring-loaded trap with offset jaws designed to capture an animal by closing upon one (1) of its legs and that is so constructed that the edges designed to touch the animal are composed of nonmetallic pads that eliminates or mitigates injury to the trapped animal. Cushion-hold traps that have an outside measurement that is 9 inches or less, as measured at the widest point, are legal. Cushion-hold traps are the only steel traps legal for trapping in the open and on top of the ground, provided that the trapper has specific written permission from the landowner to use the trap.

you can use metal jaw traps in water only. this is the same as its been for years.

I don't think that is correct. Here is the language in the latest Hunting Guide:

5. Cushion-hold traps, laminated jaw traps,
off-set wide jaw traps, off-set laminated jaw
traps and wide jaw traps with an outside
measure of jaw spread that is 9 inches or
less, as measured at the widest point and a
minimum jaw thickness of ¼ inch, may be
used for all sets. Double-jaw traps with an
outside spread of 9 inches or less of the upper
and lower jaw combined and a minimum jaw
thickness of ¼ inch may be used for all sets

MR Yote

scn":75ap79g7 said:
jodyt":75ap79g7 said:

I don't think that is correct. Here is the language in the latest Hunting Guide:

5. Cushion-hold traps, laminated jaw traps,
off-set wide jaw traps, off-set laminated jaw
traps and wide jaw traps with an outside
measure of jaw spread that is 9 inches or
less, as measured at the widest point and a
minimum jaw thickness of ¼ inch, may be
used for all sets. Double-jaw traps with an
outside spread of 9 inches or less of the upper
and lower jaw combined and a minimum jaw
thickness of ¼ inch may be used for all sets

x2

Latest posts