Set my first traps

rem270

I bought 6 new Duke dog proof traps from a buddy of mine who does this for a living. We also placed an order for some 550's that hopefully will be here soon along with some stakes and all that good stuff.

I have never put the first trap out or really had no clue what I was/am doing besides just getting info from him. Decided to put 2 out yesterday and set a cam up over them. About 5 this morning it went off. 2 coons were there. I could tell one was near the trap but the pics just stopped. I figured maybe the coon pulled the stake out of the ground and took off with the trap. I took a walk back there this afternoon and noticed it was laying on the ground by the trap. Walked right up to it and it didn't move. I thought what the heck did it die of a heart attack? It finally put its head up and was very much alive. Crazy thing is he sat there all day and couldn't have moved because nothing trigger my camera. After dispatching it I noticed both front feet were in the trap.

It was pretty exciting being my first time doing this. I plan on getting all 6 out along with the 550's I ordered for bobcats and yotes.
20231213_145122.jpg

20231213_145743.jpg

Carlos

Way to go!

I have 2 of the 550's set in the back field about 100 yards from the house in dirt hole sets. There's been a few Coyotes coming thru, trying to see if I can catch 1.
They've been set for 2 days already, and haven't been touched. I just check them with binos.
Hopefully I'll connect with one soon.
I tried it last year and something dug the traps out on the first run. Then, I caught 2 gray squirrels- I thought that was really strange.

rem270

Way to go!

I have 2 of the 550's set in the back field about 100 yards from the house in dirt hole sets. There's been a few Coyotes coming thru, trying to see if I can catch 1.
They've been set for 2 days already, and haven't been touched. I just check them with binos.
I tried it last year and something dug the traps out on the first run. Then, I caught 2 gray squirrels- I thought that was really strange.
How do you set your traps for yotes and bobcats? Put bait around the trap hoping they'll get in it? Like I said, I'm 2 days new into this.

Carlos

I'm pretty new at it as well. About 3 years ago there was a fox taking our chickens. I setup a dirt-hole set and stuck a few chicken feathers in the hole. I had him the next morning.

I need to pickup some bait and lure. The ones I have set out back just have a few pieces of cat food down in the hole.

Here's a video on the setup I'm referencing. There's a few variations, but this seems to work pretty well.

Carlos

Oh, and make sure you have a plan in case you accidentally catch someone's pet. I've caught 2 house cats and a German shepherd by mistake. They were all 3 released unharmed. I just used a couple of 2x2's that were 5ft long, to release their foot, they weren't seriously hurt at all, just a sore paw.

readonly

Way to go!

If you are using urine at your set, or too much salt for anti-freeze, you will attract non-targets. Put if you can catch a squirrel in a yote/cat set, the pan tension is too light.

Planking

I started catching coons with DP's and now i am a trapping maniac. I've caught two coyotes in the last 5 days with MB 650's. Best advice i can give is watch a ton of videos before you trap coyotes. Make sure your trap is bedded solid, never any wiggle in it and the proper distance, depth and angle from the hole entry, etc. From your thumb to your pinky is the distance i use from the hole entry to the coyotes foot/pan location, offset an inch or two for its left or right leg. Dirt hole sets are my favorite but hay sets and pipe dreams are great also. Awesome pics!!!

hammer33

Tip: Go easy using lure for coyotes. Try food based baits first. It can be sophisticated commercial baits or as simple as bacon grease. I have been having great success using the black greasy goo out of the smoker drip pan.
Dirt hole sets are easy and can be used almost anywhere. Don't get caught up in the different names/kinds of sets. Focus on the geometry of the set. Where is the bait, where is the trap, how will the coyote step to get to the bait. Can he steal the bait or investigate without stepping in the trap?
My most lethal set is a hollow log about 16" long with a trap bedded in front of it. Pile some junk (rocks/firewood/branches) behind it blocking the back entrance, put a chunk of bait in the log (I have used a mouse, rat, dead bird, half a taco, venison scraps, road killed squirrel, spoiled lunch meat). Slap a little smoker goo in the log, and dribble a little on top. I then stuff a wad of dead grass in the opening of the log. Coyote has to work the set to get the grass out, then stick his nose into the hollow log to get at the bait. Meanwhile he is moving his feet around your set. Bam, you got him.

Planking

If you can catch a squirrel in a yote/cat set, the pan tension is too light.
I set two dirt holes close to one another last night and was going to bait them at lunch after it thawed overnight and dang if i didn't have a coon in it with just a hole, no bait, nothing. Ive got two 550's at this area and if i would've had the 650's out it probably wouldn't have tripped it to do the stiffer pan tension.

rem270

I love running the DP's. I actually ordered 2 more dozen this morning, already have 3 dozen. Will start running them here in a couple weeks and put the hurt on them egg eaters.
I only have 6. Going to get another 6 or more in the next week. I put all 6 out this afternoon and I could see how easily they can get lost lol

mjwendorf

I only have 6. Going to get another 6 or more in the next week. I put all 6 out this afternoon and I could see how easily they can get lost lol
I started with 6 and things escalated quickly. A dozen or so are easy to run and keep track of them. If needed get some flagging tape to put on a tree limb to mark them.

JCDEERMAN

Easy trick - hang some ribbon within 10' of the traps about head high. A printed out topo map marked also works. We run around 30 so I have to this, especially when moving them around

Edit to add: we plan on spray painting all of ours white. Not just for locating them, but also protecting them from the elements. They also stand out as "appealing" to the critters.

Carlos

Easy trick - hang some ribbon within 10' of the traps about head high. A printed out topo map marked also works. We run around 30 so I have to this, especially when moving them around

Edit to add: we plan on spray painting all of ours white. Not just for locating them, but also protecting them from the elements. They also stand out as "appealing" to the critters.
I watched a guy's video recently, he always painted his traps after season.

I think he used a gallon of paint in a bucket- mixed with 1/2 gallon of paint thinner. He used black, but said he'd dip them into the paint, and then hang them up outside for a few weeks before waxing them. It seems like a great idea to me.

rem270

I have all 6 of mine within a 50 yard radius or so right now. But I plan to hang some ribbon or painting a stripe on them, especially when I start running more.

JCDEERMAN

I have all 6 of mine within a 50 yard radius or so right now. But I plan to hang some ribbon or painting a stripe on them, especially when I start running more.
When you run more is when you can't remember over time 🤣, Especially over large acreage. And move them over time. We have all of ours not out now, but hanging ready to go, but will deploy them the start of January. 93 in 2022 and 71 in 2023. Kill them all!

Shanman

Few tips….

Paint DPs white
Use OnX, HuntWise, etc to mark your sets, then delete the waypoints when you pull your sets.
Remember, if it's good enough for 1 trap then it's good enough for 2 or 3 traps.
Make a catch pole, I wouldn't trap without one.
Have a plan for WHEN you catch a skunk. 😉

Way to go JCDEERMAN, those kind of numbers really help the turkeys! 👍👍👍

Latest posts