Non-Quota Doe Harvest

kholmes

I hunt in Henderson Co. and we can kill 6 does with a rifle 2-per week from Dec15-Jan6. My question is what difference does it make what time of the season does should be harvested? Why not just limit the number to six over the entire rifle season (early and late). Is there something to this that I'm not getting?

backstraps

I have thought the same thing....since the purpose of harvesting does is to control population.....give Tennessee hunters a number of does allowed to harvest...and let the hunter decide when to harvest them....if you want to get all 6 with a bow...why not......personal opinion: I like early doe meat alot beter than the strong estrus doe meat

Boone 58

I personally like to take em early as it irks me to kill a doe late in the season and find that she was allready bred....I know it makes no real difference except psychologically it disturbs me to think i killed two instead of one.....
Crazy maybe but disturbing to me.
I like to get em early and then buck hunt while the rut is on and watch the does to find the bucks......
works for me!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tiny

BSK said:
I agree backstrap. I think having doe quota hunts late in the season is a mistake.
I agree as well,and IMO any doe quota hunt at any time is a mistake.

Tenbears

Most of my does are taken in the early season.

There are some times when we take a few for management purposes late , plus we donate these to feeding the hungry.

Whitehorse

As usual, BSK is the guy for this topic. :)

I'm not sure how much a difference our statewide hunting patterns have on this. It seems like the fawns lost when a doe is taken after being bred have not hurt our herd numbers, though I imagine with manipulation of kill & lots of work it could potentially have an effect, but it would take a whole lot more does being killed than are being killed right now. Factor in the elusiveness of a hunted doe...

Latest posts