Nobel Sport Vectan Tubal 3000 powder test and CCI400 vs PMC SR primers

Mausermeister

Several months ago when powders got scarce I found myself with less than I felt comfortable with for loading 223 plinking ammo. While I had several pounds each of Varget, IMR 4895, Accurate 2230, I use them in several other calibers as well, so didn't want to "waste" them for 55gr plinking ammo. Graf's had Nobel Sport Vectan powders in stock at decent prices. I remember an old friend using Nobel Sport powders several years ago and he always said he liked it, so I took the plunge and bought several pounds.

20220424_154153.jpg

Later I traded for a bunch of PMC primers since any time my inventory gets below 10k, I start to get nervous. I loaded a couple thousand rounds of my old faithful plinking load of 23.7gr Accurate 2230 under a 55gr FMJBT with an OAL of 2.200". I fired a few rounds to check for pressure signs at the time, but didn't shoot over the chronograph.

20220422_144129.jpg

I finally got around to loading a few up to try the Vectan. I loaded 10 rounds each using 23gr, 24gr, and 25gr under 55grFMJBT in mixed range pickup brass. Five rounds each using CCI400 and PMC primers for comparison.

I dragged all my crap down to the farm after church this morning to do some testing, except I forgot my notebook and had to use the back of paper from work about Covid that was between the seat and console. The field was still wet and I'm fat and lazy, so I just shot across the chronograph at the steel and not for groups. Was shooting a 20" A2 with gov profile 1:7 twist chrome lined barrel.

First I shot the Vectan 3000 loads. I was pleasantly surprised that the PMC primers performed practically identical to the CCI primers with this powder. All loads were identical except for the primer. I loaded 10 each using 23gr, 24gr, and 25gr. Five of each primer. The data from Nobel Sports' website goes up a little over 26gr, but at 25gr the case is maybe 1/16" from completely full and it is a compressed load, so I didn't bother going past 25gr.

20220424_153945.jpg

Then I shot the Accurate 2230 loads to compare the primers, five each with CCI400 vs PMC primers. I was disappointed with the results of the PMC primers with 2230. While there was no real problem per say, there was definitely a wider spread and average velocity was over 100 less than the exact same load with the CCI primers. Rifle functioned fine and locked back on empty mag, Just less consistent and lower velocities. Perfectly fine for plinking, but not going to do anything for accuracy, I bet.

20220424_155947.jpg

Overall I am very pleased with the Vectan powder and will be happy to load and shoot several thousand rounds with what I purchased. The PMC primers performed virtually identical to the CCI400s with Vectan, but with Accurate 2230 the acerage velocity was a little over 100fps lower with a much larger spread. Maybe it was a difference between ball vs stick powder? Maybe it was just a fluke with a couple pieces of brass since it is mixed range pickup? I will try some more with 2230 and maybe Win 760 using identical brass instead of mixed brass to see If I get similar results or if it was just a fluke.

Last edited:

Latest posts