Food Plots No Plow

Bsolomon

Do guys have luck with no plow seed? I sprayed a area this spring and then thru out seed that was not no plow with no luck. Is it to late to try something else?

MickThompson

What species are in the mix? I do a version of this on my garden each fall and have no issues. You need 1)seed to soil contact and 2) soil moisture. I broadcast seed the mow or weed eat over the top.

Also, when did you sow it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

southernhunter

Last year I sprayed the food plot then seeded wheat and rye in it . It turned out good it's the first year I didn't use the disc

southernhunter

Looks like I am going to try it again this year. The plots are all brown from spraying. Was going to lightly disc it but the tractor isn't going to be available in time. So I am going to wait on a good rain and seed the plots with a blend that contains some of the following wheat, rye grain, turnips, clover , I May mix in some rye grasss on the small wood plots.

southernhunter

I Have used rye grass several times over the years in all the varitys. The farm I hunt has very poor soil. I have never had any negative effects of using rye grass and the deer seem to use it almost as much wheat. Actually in southern Lincoln county where I hunt the deer don't use any food plots a lot as we typically don't have a killing frost till late November. leaving plenty of green vegetation to browse, on top of the leftover soybean in many of the fields.

southernhunter

Many people are of the belief that deer will not ryegrass, I been on this forum for a long time and it's always been contentious . Many of the throw and grow food plot blends are primarily Rye grass. Rye grass comes in several varieties.
Personally I say the truth is in the middle, I have used it with some success but have never seen the deer go crazy over it. It's about all I can get to grow in many areas I hunt for multiple reasons. I think it mostly depends on the area you hunt and available food sources. Which can vary greatly in short distances. I have planted wheat, oats , rye grain and clover blends a lot. For most fall plots it's my go to blend but I have seen deer walk across 2 acreas of a lush food plot to browse on dead vegetation go figure

Latest posts