Night hunting of coyotes & bobcats

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
I was waiting on supper to get done last night and just flipping through the channels and ran across a show where two guys were hunting at night.
They had night vision goggles, thermal imaging scopes and all kinds of fancy stuff.
Then the guy with the thermal says there is one back in the woods headed towards the field.
Then he climbs up into the back of the truck and flips on this light rig.
It is mounted to the bed of the truck on a tripod and has like 5 or 6 big spotlights on it, looked like a machine gun turret or something LOL

So he flips this big flamethrower looking light on and the coyote just keeps on coming in to the call till it finally stops at like 35 yards and the other guy pops him.

I have never hunted anything at night other than when I was a kid I would walk around the edges of the field behind our house and scan the trees for eyes, looking for coons or possums (no never saw any lol) and I did go on a legit coon hunt one time.
I would have thought when that big arse light came on anything in the area would have headed for the next state over.

Does it really happen like that?
Why does the light not scare them?

Spurhunter

Re: Night hunting of coyotes & bobcats

When I was a teenager I heard about coyote hunting at night. I also heard the participants didn't even know it was illegal. They were just dumb kids having fun doing the world a service. Coyotes can't see amber light. If you use an amber lens on your spotlight they'll come right in. All this is here say and I never ever never coyote hunted at night. But if I ever did I bet it would be a LOT of fun.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Wildcat

Just saw this while going though the forum.

Yes that's how it works and they DO come in. Here in KY we coyote hunt at night and it's a ton of fun but getting them into shotgun range is the problem.

First off I use a red headlight to scan and have a bigger stronger light on my shotgun for a shooting light. I scan for eyes while calling and once I see them I stay on him to see where he's going and if coming in or not. The trick is to keep your scan light ABOVE his head, you do NOT want to point the center of the light on him yet. Once he's in range I hit the shooting light and go from there.

A lot of people want the law changed from shotguns to center fire rifles. People say we are in KY and not out west but on the other hand other eastern states allow centerfire rifles at night and don't seem to have any problem.

scn

Wildcat":rmuzbwzx said:
Just saw this while going though the forum.

Yes that's how it works and they DO come in. Here in KY we coyote hunt at night and it's a ton of fun but getting them into shotgun range is the problem.

First off I use a red headlight to scan and have a bigger stronger light on my shotgun for a shooting light. I scan for eyes while calling and once I see them I stay on him to see where he's going and if coming in or not. The trick is to keep your scan light ABOVE his head, you do NOT want to point the center of the light on him yet. Once he's in range I hit the shooting light and go from there.

A lot of people want the law changed from shotguns to center fire rifles. People say we are in KY and not out west but on the other hand other eastern states allow centerfire rifles at night and don't seem to have any problem.

It hasn't been that many years ago that a US Forest Service officer was killed in GA by a night time coyote hunter using a rifle. There may be some open range country in KY (or TN) where it wouldn't be an issue, but, IMO, it would be a very bad deal in the majority of those states.

Latest posts