New Toy for me

Hogbear

I bought this thing sight-unseen off of eBay and just picked it up today. It's a '97 Illusion Dragon that only has 6,000 miles on it. It was made before Illusion was sold by Donnie Bittman: http://www.dbchoppers.com/aboutus.htm

The owner bought it and rode it around town but has sport-touring bikes for longer trips. He now has a Suzuki Hayabusa and just never rode this thing anymore. It starts right up and runs fine and so far the only things I can find wrong are what he told me about which is a bad leak in the front brake caliper and the low beam part of the headlight burned out. I've owned lots of bikes in the last 30 years but this is my first V-twin cruiser. I've always like Japanese sport bikes or sport-toureres in the past, my all-time favorite being my '95 Honda VFR-750F. I guess this is my "old man" bike now that I'm past 45 and all the guys I work with ride Harleys. Should be interesting...gotta find some brake parts and a light now.

IMG_0020_edited-1.jpg

IMG_0021_edited-1.jpg

Hogbear

It's a 97 c.i. motor that Illusion built in house. It has Illusion branded heads built by STD, Illusion pistons built by J&E, Illusion Cylinders built by Patrick, S&S flywheels, cases, and carb, Illusion cam and Supertrapp exhaust. It's supposed to have 104 ft-lbs and 86 hp. It uses a Primo belt primary and a Delkron cased pink unicorn with Andrews gears. I have no idea what most of that stuff is since I'm used to Honda's and Suzuki sportbikes. It's all in a Harley Softail frame with 34 degrees of rake.
I think it's purty and it sounds neat whatever all that is. :) It feels lighter than my friend's Fatboy.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 0197983246

A

Anonymous

interesting....i am not seeing a lot of the stuff you mentioned due to a lot of it being INSIDE the motor....the primo belt drive stands out as being "not there" but who knows

so is it an evolution engine?.....or a twin cam?....it appears to be a stock 80 c.i. evolution with an s&s air filter over installed other than the jugs.

its been a long ime since ive fooled with h-d engines but a buddy of mione is a certified tech...i will show him the pictures and i guarantee he can tell you exactly what it is. he builds em for a living and for fun...lol

either way its good lookin bike for sure....it needs a solo saddle and some custom paint and it would be ready to cruise for sure.

Hogbear

It's an Evolution based engine, just not many stock HD parts left apparently.

I know almost nothing about Harley engines or Harleys in general. I'm just reading the specs from the company paperwork.

dg7080

Nice looking scoot... Looks like it was built from a Softail Custom or a Standard with a bit of extra chrome. so you live in Cuba, as near Woodstock or Sheby Forest?

Hogbear

dg7080 said:
Nice looking scoot... Looks like it was built from a Softail Custom or a Standard with a bit of extra chrome. so you live in Cuba, as near Woodstock or Sheby Forest?

That's the one. I get my tractor parts for my old MF from Arnett tractor over your way.
I went to the HD dealer and a place called Memphis Choppers today but neither one had any seals that would fit that Illusion brake caliper. No telling who made it for them. I wound up just ordering a whole new caliper so I guess it'll be a while before it comes in and I can do any ridin'.

Squiggs

So, are me and Dennis going to see you on it one Wednesday down at The SideCar Cafe for Bike Night? Sure would like to see it up close...

dg7080

Yep, like to see it someday.

Hey Squiggs, won't be long till bike night gets going. You still working on Sat afternoons? The wife and I need to run down there and take you up on the buffet :)

Latest posts