New to the sport

James in Cumberland

Hi,

James over here in Knoxville. Just bought a used Buck brand compound bow couple weeks ago, and have been trying it out. First time I ever shot a compound bow. I have the draw weight set at 50 lbs. and seems alot to pull for me, but have been told should be higher if I want to make say a 40 yard shot. Just wondering what to do, and any tips with bows or deer hunting with them would be welcomed. I have been hunting Forks of the River, Henderson Island and Buffalo Springs WMA's.

LCU

I went with 60# limbs on my Drenalin,because it's easy to draw.
If you put the broadhead in the correct spot, 50# limbs are plenty to make good kills.
But you may want to have your bow looked at. 50# should be easy to draw. What is your letoff %?

James in Cumberland

Not really sure of what my letoff is, but when I do get it drawn the bow, I have no problem holding it there. I just got back from Gander Mountain and it is now set at 56 lbs. which the first few times I can get ok but after that gets tough. The bow was made for Buck by Champion Bows out of Canada and they made them from 1999 to 2002 so it is in that age frame.

Buckblaster

R.I.P.
James in Knox said:
Not really sure of what my letoff is, but when I do get it drawn the bow, I have no problem holding it there. I just got back from Gander Mountain and it is now set at 56 lbs. which the first few times I can get ok but after that gets tough. The bow was made for Buck by Champion Bows out of Canada and they made them from 1999 to 2002 so it is in that age frame.

bowhunting is addictive.

YOur draw weight is too high then. Turn it down to 50 and practice. Then turn ut up a little after a week or two. Keep doing this. It will come. When I started when I was 13 I was struggling to draw 50 and I started shooting 60 pounds in a month.
Im 15 now and draw 70 easily.

40 yards is also a long way to shoot if your a beginner like you said in your other post, some experiences guys wont shoot over 30-35.

Good luck and welcome to the site.

bobthebowhunter

I don't shoot much over 30yards for hunting perposes. Your draw weight needs to be set at whatever feels comfy for you. Don't let anyone tell you it has to be 60 or 70# My wife shoot 38# right now, and can shoot very well. She has also killed a deer with that bow.

My advice to you is not to rush into hunting with a bow.
Shoot that bow until you can't stand it. It just takes time to build the right muscles.

Good luck to you. I'm in knoxville too so if you ever want to shoot or anything like that I'd be glad to teach you what little I know.

Buckblaster

R.I.P.
bobthebowhunter said:
Shoot that bow until you can't stand it.

Hey bob thats nice of you to offer your help.

But I hate to disagree with you on that, shooting to much can lead to bad form and bad shooting habits and effect accuracy that is hard to correct. But ditto, practice as much as possible bt dont wear your self out.

James in Cumberland

Thanks for the tips and what to expect range wise. The 52 pounds I went in with before they turned it up this morning, was getting a little easier for me then when they put it at that level I think last week. I guess just takes time like you said to get those muscles working and use to the pull.

Made it out to Forks of the River today between about noon and just before 3 PM but didn't see a deer. I am on the ground using the high grass to hide behind in the field. Yesterday my buddy saw a buck and 3 does in the same place, day before that I and him saw 2 does but missed all the shots we took.

HOOK

You want honesty? I'll give you honesty. A lot of people have a misunderstanding when it comes to bow hunting. They think they can just pick up a bow for the first time and kill deer. If you just bought a bow you should not even entertain the thought of using it for hunting this season. You need to do your homework and practice like crazy to get ready for next season. You are missing shots for a reason...the time to practice is not while your hunting. Yes, you may end up getting lucky and worse wound an never find your deer. You owe it to yourself and the animals you hunt to be fully prepared and practiced to adequately take an animal with a bow.

Radar

If you just started out , I would practice allot ,and keep your shots less than 20 yards . If it is hard to pull back , or doesn't fit you right and you can't shoot well with the bow, don't hunt with the bow this year .
Don't even go in the woods with the bow unless you can shoot a good , consistent group with broadheads .
It would be better to hold off this year , and get it right ,than to become a poke and hope bowhunter .

bobthebowhunter

Buckblaster said:
bobthebowhunter said:
Shoot that bow until you can't stand it.

Hey bob thats nice of you to offer your help.

But I hate to disagree with you on that, shooting to much can lead to bad form and bad shooting habits and effect accuracy that is hard to correct. But ditto, practice as much as possible bt dont wear your self out.

I say shoot as much as you can stand it. I don't believe in bad habits. Shoot how you are comfortable and adjust the bow accordingly. If you are comfortable in your form you will be much more consistant.

Shoot Shoot Shoot. That promotes consistancy. As far as form. It doesn't have to be text book, however you may need to tune your bow accordingly.

Comare it to baseball. There is a text book form for pitching, and batting, but plenty of guys out there don't have perfect text book form and they are successfull. That is why I don't believe in bad habits.

rldel

James in Knox said:
Thanks for the tips and what to expect range wise. The 52 pounds I went in with before they turned it up this morning, was getting a little easier for me then when they put it at that level I think last week. I guess just takes time like you said to get those muscles working and use to the pull.

Made it out to Forks of the River today between about noon and just before 3 PM but didn't see a deer. I am on the ground using the high grass to hide behind in the field. Yesterday my buddy saw a buck and 3 does in the same place, day before that I and him saw 2 does but missed all the shots we took.

As indicated by an intelligent poster, you don't need more than 50. You can speed it up and flatten it out a tad by going up in poundage but if you shake or can't hit what you are aiming at 70# ain�t worth a #$@%! 35# will get the job done. For hunting, just be sure you good sharp fixed blade broadhead like Muzzys or Inerloc. There is no reason you have to spend more than about 5 bucks a broadhead or a bunch on a bow. 3 blades are good, 4 cut 1 better.

James in Cumberland

Thanks for all the advise everybody. Went out to John Sevier for a bit and was at the archery range. Ended up turning down my draw weight a little, probably now about 53 lbs. The 20 yard target I seemed to being doing pretty good with, now if I can properly sight it in for 30 and 40 I will be ok. Still having a work out drawing back the bow after the first few draws of the day though. I have started an unorthodox way though of getting it back, I use my chin or side of face to help pull my right hand back, once the letoff kicks in I am fine. Could image what you would all say seeing this draw back! I am sure it is a bad habit, but it works for now anyways.

Dalton

James in Knox said:
... Still having a work out drawing back the bow after the first few draws of the day though. I have started an unorthodox way though of getting it back, I use my chin or side of face to help pull my right hand back, once the letoff kicks in I am fine. Could image what you would all say seeing this draw back! I am sure it is a bad habit, but it works for now anyways.

You might want to have the draw length checked. Sounds a little long to me.

DarkkDragon

I agree.Have your draw length checked. Sounds like it might be long. Or, your still drawing too much weight. Sit down on a chair (armless) hold your bow out to your side and see if you can draw it. If not, your still pulling too much weight. Also agree that if this is your first bow this season (right now) is not the time to start hunting with it.

Radar

I'd recommend buying a bow that is the correct draw length and draw weight . It's worth it to start out right , than go afield with an ill fitting bow that will force you into bad shooting habits , misses , and wounded deer .

Latest posts