Smokeless New to smokeless ML

Smokeless

Kybowhunter64

Hello folks hows everyones season been? Ive been interested in smokeless ML for couple years nows jus hadnt ever bought one. I gota couple questions for some of you fellas that has either built your own Smokeless or done a conversion. When plannin on doing a conversion what gun did yall start with, or do you just start with a bolt an barrel pr what? Sorry if the questions come off as dumb lol but i know nothing abôut smokeless muzzleloaders. Feel free to shoot me a Pm. Thanks in advance!

TheLBLman

Welcome to the site.

For those wondering why smokeless muzzleloaders are so hard to find, not even being "offered" now by the big firearms companies,
below is a very good read.

https://apnews.com/adbc910fa9064d4fbdea ... ed-hunters

It's my personal opinion that many if not most these accidents were caused by operator error.
However, one really big "risk" here is that it is relatively very easy to make some of these errors with a muzzleloader compared to a modern cartridge rifle.

Often, these errors would not blow up a traditional black-powder muzzleloader, but they can easily blow up a smokeless muzzleloader because smokeless powders produce so much more pressure. Double load some BH209 (considered a "safe" black-powder, substitute) and you'll likely just have fire come out your barrel; double load some N120 (smokeless powder) and you'll likely have your gun explode in your face.

The above error cannot happen in a modern cartridge gun, i.e. you cannot double-load a 30/06 cartridge into your chamber. But if you were to "double load" a smokeless muzzleloader, that might be comparable to having two cartridges going off simultaneously in a single 30/06 barrel ---- it's going to blow up.

The liabilities and opportunities for life-threatening operator error are simply immensely greater when using smokeless powder in a muzzleloader.

One of these potential risks is accidently loading your smokeless powder in a typical muzzleloader ---- this can be easier to do than many would think, since most muzzleloaders are not designed for smokeless powder, but those using smokeless "pre-package, pre-measure" their loads, which can be easily mixed or confused as to which gun they were prepared.

Merely having smokeless powder in your possession can be a significant risk in that it might get used in the wrong gun.
IMO, this is a big reason the big firearms companies are not offering a smokeless muzzleloader to the general public.

lungpuncher1

TheLBLman":1iwc31mu said:
Welcome to the site.

For those wondering why smokeless muzzleloaders are so hard to find, not even being "offered" now by the big firearms companies,
below is a very good read.

https://apnews.com/adbc910fa9064d4fbdea ... ed-hunters

It's my personal opinion that many if not most these accidents were caused by operator error.
However, one really big "risk" here is that it is relatively very easy to make some of these errors with a muzzleloader compared to a modern cartridge rifle.

Often, these errors would not blow up a traditional black-powder muzzleloader, but they can easily blow up a smokeless muzzleloader because smokeless powders produce so much more pressure. Double load some BH209 (considered a "safe" black-powder, substitute) and you'll likely just have fire come out your barrel; double load some N120 (smokeless powder) and you'll likely have your gun explode in your face.

The above error cannot happen in a modern cartridge gun, i.e. you cannot double-load a 30/06 cartridge into your chamber. But if you were to "double load" a smokeless muzzleloader, that might be comparable to having two cartridges going off simultaneously in a single 30/06 barrel ---- it's going to blow up.

The liabilities and opportunities for life-threatening operator error are simply immensely greater when using smokeless powder in a muzzleloader.

One of these potential risks is accidently loading your smokeless powder in a typical muzzleloader ---- this can be easier to do than many would think, since most muzzleloaders are not designed for smokeless powder, but those using smokeless "pre-package, pre-measure" their loads, which can be easily mixed or confused as to which gun they were prepared.

Merely having smokeless powder in your possession can be a significant risk in that it might get used in the wrong gun.
IMO, this is a big reason the big firearms companies are not offering a smokeless muzzleloader to the general public.
Wow. You may have scared him away.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

GMB54

Make sure to avoid 3 pellet loads in your smokers also. They can easily make similar pressure as a Savage book load. All it takes is a pellet or 2 to crush in these so called "magnum charges" and pressures can exceed 35kpsi.

Pretty scary when you consider there is no proof standard at all in the USA for any muzzle loader. Imagine what happens when you load a Rem Ultimate (4 pellet capable) incorrectly...Yep they blow up too and they have recently.

21752608_10154805300565846_4904725204853487020_o.jpg

GMB54

If i was going to build another it would be on a centerfire action such as a Rem 700 single shot SS or a Savage 16 Light Weight Hunter. The Savage action is easier to head space and easier to convert back to centerfire. I put a huge premium on light weight. My Ultra Light Arms 50cal is under 6lbs bare. Absolute joy to carry.

My MLII Pacnor 45 conversion is a pig of a rifle but a joy to shoot off a bench. I would never build another on a MLII action. You can get Remage barrels for the Rem700 and get a similar benefit as using a Savage CF action too. Cost is pretty high for those barrel and they are smaller OD than a normal Rem700 conversion barrel.

Latest posts