New Henry Big Boy Steel Carbine shoots high.

Steverino

So I bought a set of the HIVIZ iron sights for it and put them on and it still shoots high. Theres no way to go lower on the rear sight or go higher on the front as they both slide into a notch on the barrel. I tried contacting a smith in AL near where I live but he's booked solid thru December. So wondering if theres another gunsmith who might have the answer to this. The goal is to maintain a quick way to get on target and not have electronics or bulky scopes on this gun. All of my other rifles have scopes so I wanted one that is a quick bush gun and the BBSteel Carbine is it for me.

Steverino

Break out the file on the rear sight done a few open sights that had no adjustment
But won't that affect the fit in the slot for the rear sight? There is a locking screen on it so maybe I could file it down so it lays flat on the barrel and tighten the lock screw so its tight. I'll give that a try first while seeing if I can find a taller front sight with the illumination plastic in it that will fit a Henry. Thanks.

Steverino

Yeah maybe I'll drill a hole and put a long adjusting screw in the large loop and learn to support the rifle with my thigh too like the Rifleman. ;) While on that subject: Trivia Question of the Day "How many shots did the Rifleman run on the opening segment of the the show?" Answer "12" Just in case anyone ever asks you all ..... :cool:

jemo4570

Years ago I had a Marlin 336 that shot high. Being a machinist, I made a new front site out of bronze, 1/4" higher than the original. I drifted it into place and took the gun to the range with a file and a set of calipers. After 4 or 5 shots she was dead on at 100 yards.
Wish I still had that gun!

Steverino

I have 3 Henry Rifles - this one took 4 months to get. It was ordered thru a dealer end of August and it came in - mid December. I made phone calls to Henry and the dealer to no avail - I was in the queue and when it was ready I'd get it but no one could tell me during that time what was an ETA for it. I'm afraid right now due to a realignment of their product lines and the COVID factor both which played a part in this tardiness getting the gun to the dealer I don't want to risk another 4 months waiting for a 1/2 hour fix to a qualified tech. NJ isn't completely opened yet either so they may not be fully staffed. I don't think sending it back is an option right now anyway.

I'll find something or someone that can get it to work where I can take it and pick it up. Has to be someone in TN or AL capable of doing that who is reliable and good. Or Ill learn to shoot like the rifleman.

Steverino

What kind? Did you contact them?
No didn't contact them. What I did do is bend the back down to the barrel as much as it'll go which isn't more than 1/16th of an inch. I did the laser bore sight with that again and its slightly above bull at 30'. I have yet to find the time to get down to my range and try a live test with it. When I do I'll start at about 25 yds then start moving the targets back. If this sights in like I was taught with my .06 having it a bit over bull is a sure shot at longer distances. I'm not going for pin point accuracy just in the ball park. Its not a target gun as much as a woods defense weapon and maybe predator gun. Also need to try different ammo types and see whats best but I think the sight will do for now. I bought one supposedly able to fit this gun don't remember the actual model number now. I didn't want to bother Henry with this - I bothered them enough when the gun was on order LOL. I was just totally afraid I'd never get it. As it was it took from August to Dec.

Latest posts