New elk rifle

John3

I am going elk hunting in Colorado this fall and while I don't technically need a new rifle, I am thinking of using it as an excuse to get one. Just looking for input on a lightweight set up and some high quality glass. Hoping to go ahead and get it soon to be very comfortable with it before the trip. Just wondering what others have and like so I can do some research and shopping.
Thanks

gtk

Staff member
You are going to get many opinions :) ..

I use a 300 wsm with zeiss glass. Lots and lots of people out here have/use the 300 win mag. I would venture to say that is the most popular.

my next scope will be a ?-14x44 , probably high end vortex

BlackEagle1

If I was only going to only hunt elk I would get a 338 win. And If my budget was endless my recommendations maybe a little different but......

All That being said, I put together a pair of rifles for out west (all species) a couple years ago and went with the tikka (light or super) in .300 win. The guns have a good price, light, best factory trigger available once adjusted(my .02), and they shoot anything you cram in the chamber exceptionally well. I picked the .300 win over the WSM because of ammo availability and variety. You can find about any combination of brand and bullet you want and in a pinch you can find something just about anywhere. I am a long time fan of the .300 wsm and if you choose that caliber you can knock about 2 inches off of the barrel length.

Topped these with leupold glass with the CDS system. I wouldn't recommend anything less than a 14 power. I prefer a 30mm tube (more light and more adjustment) and a 50 mm objective. You can stay with a 1 inch and 40 mm and shave some weight. Don't skimp on rings. There's a lot of good choices like Talley (probably the lightest), leupold, or the vortex precision matched (my choice)

Feed either of these 30 calibers a good Nosler bullet from 180 + and you can give a big elk a dirt nap at a pretty far distance

UPSman

2-Step Enabled
Find yourself a Kimber Montana in 300 WSM. I have a Leupold 3.5-10 CDS scope on mine. Easy and effective setup. I can shoot out to 700 yards with it on the dial.

Buddy of mine has a 338 Lapua Improved with a BIG Nightforce on it. Its heavy, a pain in the azz to pack and kicks like a scared mule, but if an elk gets within 1700 yards...its gonna be tits up.

bobbuck

I would get a tikka T3 lite weight 300 win mag topped with a vortex with a BDC reticle. Get comfortable shooting out to 300 yards.

swd

I have the T3x in .270 and am really happy with it. I wanted something that I would enjoy shooting. A .300 Win Mag does not meet that criteria.

Now I just need to get it into elk country...

dgolden

I have a Tikka t3x Lite in 300 win mag. I topped it with a Vortex HST 6-24x50. It weighs 8lbs 13 ounces total. Kicks you pretty good, but I swapped out the pad to a Limbsaver and it helped a a lot. Great shooting gun!

gtk

Staff member
dgolden":1p7mipqk said:
I have a Tikka t3x Lite in 300 win mag. I topped it with a Vortex HST 6-24x50. It weighs 8lbs 13 ounces total. Kicks you pretty good, but I swapped out the pad to a Limbsaver and it helped a a lot. Great shooting gun!
Limbsavers on both my 300 wsm too. I can shoot all day, even with hot loads..

Midnight rider

I got a browning X bolt long range 300 win mag for my trip out and am loving it. The factory muzzle brake and their recoil pad make this things kick less than my 30-06. I have shot some 300s that make you think twice but I have been super excited about this one. We are hitting 8 in targets out 650 yards and I am not a long range shooter by any means. And this thing is pretty light too.

fairchaser

dgolden":3p8q8x1p said:

I just ordered that scope for my Browning Abolt 300 win mag. This will be my out west gun and plan on using it for moose this fall. This will be my third vortex scope and I've read good reviews on this scope too. I can't wait to try it out!

dgolden

fairchaser":cij9wdw9 said:
dgolden":cij9wdw9 said:

I just ordered that scope for my Browning Abolt 300 win mag. This will be my out west gun and plan on using it for moose this fall. This will be my third vortex scope and I've read good reviews on this scope too. I can't wait to try it out!

I'm sure you'll love it. It's by far my favorite scope I've had.
Good luck on your moose hunt! Where are you going? I crossed off a Colorado bull elk off of my bucket list, but I've added a bull moose!

fairchaser

dgolden":31bzbven said:
fairchaser":31bzbven said:
dgolden":31bzbven said:

Good luck on your moose hunt! Where are you going? I crossed off a Colorado bull elk off of my bucket list, but I've added a bull moose!

Me and a friend are booked for Newfoundland this October if the travel restrictions lift. If not, Lord willing we will go next year. Moose are plentiful and the fee is reasonable there. No 65 inch moose but I can live with something smaller.

dgolden

I just ordered that scope for my Browning Abolt 300 win mag. This will be my out west gun and plan on using it for moose this fall. This will be my third vortex scope and I've read good reviews on this scope too. I can't wait to try it out![/quote]

Good luck on your moose hunt! Where are you going? I crossed off a Colorado bull elk off of my bucket list, but I've added a bull moose![/quote]

Me and a friend are booked for Newfoundland this October if the travel restrictions lift. If not, Lord willing we will go next year. Moose are plentiful and the fee is reasonable there. No 65 inch moose but I can live with something smaller.[/quote]

That's awesome. Good luck!

turk870

dgolden":36cslv2c said:

Good luck on your moose hunt! Where are you going? I crossed off a Colorado bull elk off of my bucket list, but I've added a bull moose![/quote]

Me and a friend are booked for Newfoundland this October if the travel restrictions lift. If not, Lord willing we will go next year. Moose are plentiful and the fee is reasonable there. No 65 inch moose but I can live with something smaller.[/quote]

That's awesome. Good luck![/quote]

Here is a link to my post about Newfoundland. Had a great time. Just be ready everything up there is crazy expensive
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=261230

TNRifleman

Bergara Premier Mountain in 280AI for me. It's the one on the bottom and weighs 7 lbs. 11 oz. with scope.

Attachments

• 8AF7111D-CC2C-4D10-894F-1BFC8BDE6373.jpeg
    8AF7111D-CC2C-4D10-894F-1BFC8BDE6373.jpeg
    59.6 KB · Views: 504

Latest posts