New Duck Hunter

SpurChaser

Hello everybody,

Quick question on ducks here in TN. I have never duck hunted before, and am wondering what all I need to do to be able to attempt at killing ducks. Is hunting from a public blind required, or am I able to get in a canoe and shoot ducks in a piece of public land? I know I need to have the federal duck stamp and all the appropriate licenses for the state, gun plugged for 3 shells, but is there anything else I need to know? Any help or suggestions is more than welcomed. Thank you!

Remington700

You will learn a lot in your first few years of duck hunting. So much is determined by weather and water. People will tell you not to take it up because it is costly. Good luck in your new venture.

TNGunsmoke

2-Step Enabled
Some WMAs have walk in/boat in areas. Stay 200 yards away from the blinds and other groups. A couple dozen good looking decoys and a couple of motion decoys and you should have the basics covered. Check out the waterfowl guide to verify which WMAs have the walk in boat in areas. Don't shoot at high/long ducks, you want them under 50 yards, the closer the better. You'll want a whistle and one call, don't worry about spending a ton of money on it, There's been a ton of ducks killed with a Haydels DR-85 or a Buck Gardner Mallard Magic. Stay hidden the best you can and keep you body movement as minimal as possible while there are ducks around. And above all else, have fun and stay safe. Ignore the idiots at the boat ramp.

younggun308

2-Step Enabled
I see you're in Chattanooga. Refer to the guide to see which of the local WMAs require you to draw a blind (and by the way, those drawings haven't taken place yet; you should put in when they do—there'll be 3 different draws this year that pertain to 3 different segments of the season).

I'd begin scouting ASAP and start looking specifically for geese (goose season opens in a few days). They're always around—the trick is (re-re-re-re-)patterning them throughout the season. It's tricky but fulfilling. Looking for places to pass shoot geese in the mornings and evenings, and that will get you familiar with some potential duck spots. Others you'll have to seek out

In SE TN, you just don't know when ducks will show up. They will, and it'll be in decent numbers. But it might not be till late in the season (you'll see gobs of them after the season is over). Trying to target what small number of migrators you see before then requires a lot of binocular work.

But the biggest challenge is that TVA lowers the water levels on the TN River massively, turning what would've been stellar spots into mud flats (good if you draw a crane tag—not so good if you're looking for ducks). First year I'd try to just locate spots that hold water and mentally bookmark them. Then hunt them when you can, enjoy the view, and hope for the best.

Duck dogn

I wouldn't canoe or kyak personally due to weather conditions during duck season. Handful of decoys maybe 4 on a jerk cord, and have fun like posted above you will learn what works as you go

whwood21

I hunt from a canoe regularly. I watch the weather and choose my location based on the wind and weather forecast. I do run outriggers on my canoe for safety and stability if rough conditions arise; they are very easy to make. I have two calls, a dozen decoys and no motion. I buy all of my gear on sale in the summer so it doesn't cost much. I regularly take ducks. Do I limit, no this is middle tn ha! But I enjoy being outdoors and having fun. Get out there and have fun!

Last edited:

SpurChaser

I appreciate all the help! Looking forward to getting out there and trying my best kill some ducks!

Latest posts