New cams for 2023?

deerhunter10

Been looking as well and haven't seen anything. Should have be out already if anything new is coming with all the outdoor shows at the first of the year. I would think more people will try to figure out the live view like spartan has.

Mr.Bro

Not exactly new but Moultries Micro cams intrigue me. Use for surveillance . Small in size easier to hide and black flash. Not to great flash distance and only 6 batteries kind of worries me how many pics before they give out. At about $70 may be worth a try.

TheLBLman

Not exactly new but Moultries Micro cams intrigue me. Use for surveillance . Small in size easier to hide and black flash. Not to great flash distance and only 6 batteries . . . . .
The ones I have only use 4 AA batteries.
Yes, the small size is the big appeal (plus fewer batteries).

I've not been impressed with pic quality (despite the high MPs),
and the programming is very user UN-friendly.

My biggest complaint is actually the user UN-friendly programming,
along with the lack of programming options.

But they do work, easier to carry, easier to hide.
And for the price, probably shouldn't expect much more.

Shooter77

2-Step Enabled
I've heard lots of good about Exodus Cams over the years. So I bought 2 of the new Exodus Rival cell cams. Had them out for 2 weeks and sent them back. Compared to my Spypoint Flexs, I didn't feel the pic quality was better then the flex. Slow trigger speed also. With 7.00 line fee and 5.00 pic package, it wasn't worth the cost. Sent them back for a refund. Not sure what else is coming out.

wobblegobble

Not exactly new but Moultries Micro cams intrigue me. Use for surveillance . Small in size easier to hide and black flash. Not to great flash distance and only 6 batteries kind of worries me how many pics before they give out. At about $70 may be worth a try.
I have a moultrie 42i and it was pretty good

BSK

So far, Browning still has the HP5 listed as their top cam. But knowing how marketing works, I'm sure they'll come out with something new for 2023 just because they feel they have to, not because it's necessarily better.

poppy513

the Stealth DS4K is a good camera although well over priced. The Moultrie 42i is fairly simple and reliable. Gardepro is worth a look,

TheLBLman

TrailCamPro has started testing the Browning Defender Vision Pro cell cam.
So far, so good.

Although this is a red glow cam, I've found that if the flash is set on "economy" mode, close up deer typically don't seem to notice the flash. I normally only add true black flash units, but due to this "economy" mode option setting, the Browning red-glow cams can substitute.

I may actually prefer them on large fields and food plots where I really don't care if the flash causes the deer to keep a greater distance after an exposure or two.

IMO, Browning initially goofed when they came out with the "Ridgeline" series cell cams because of it's INTERNAL antennae. I've personally found the reception sub-par to every other cam I use with external antennas. But Browning solved that problem with this Defender Vision "Pro" model, as it has a port for an external antennae.

That said, assuming you have really good cell service where used, not having an external antennae is actually beneficial because they are easily broken off by coons or broken/lost/stolen by humans. So this new Browning cell cam is giving you a choice via just using the built-in antenna, or easily attaching an external antenna (which you may optionally run several feet higher for better reception than antennas simply at same level as the cam).

You can follow the review as this cam gets tested over the coming weeks. The initial circuit test makes it appear this cell cam has phenomenal battery life of over 14 months! Even more phenomenal considering it only uses 8 AA batteries.

Most of my currently used cell cams using 12 AA batteries will not last 6 months before going dead. Can save time on money when 8 AA batteries last twice as long.

My hope is that Browning will soon come out with an alternate model of this cell cam utilizing true black flash. I will generally only use a true black flash cam on scrapes, while red flash "can" be acceptable in other situations (even preferred in some due to it's greater range and less motion blurring).

Last edited:

TheLBLman

I haven't yet put my hands on this new Browning Vision Pro, but by all appearances, most any of the cell cam antennas would screw on it. I buy extras, so will soon know.

Browning is also offering this "BOOSTER" long-range antenna, which will out-perform cams with the typical external antenna, assuming you place this booster antenna a few feet above your cell cam.

Ridgetec has been offering a booster antenna that "looks" remarkable similar to this new Browning, and I would speculate both are made by the same company. There's a little more technical info about this antenna on Ridgetec's website.

Using a booster antenna for better cell service in poor service areas will also boost your battery life. So in time, they can pay for themselves.

Henry

Cuddeback came out with an L series for their cameras. The main hub isn't even on their sight yet.
If memory serves the L series regular (red) flash is the one that's out. They said the black flash won't be out for a while; maybe next year. They were threatening that the L series would be out of stock before they got the next shipment in. Found out it's only black and white, no color. I really like the concept of zero or one cell bill and not 24. They only take pics, no video, which was a disappointment. But, they were including a solar panel in a package deal for $0.
Many thanks to @BSK for his thoughts on this a few weeks ago. Thinking it might be good to go with two different manufacturers.

BSK

Although this is a red glow cam, I've found that if the flash is set on "economy" mode, close up deer typically don't seem to notice the flash. I normally only add true black flash units, but due to this "economy" mode option setting, the Browning red-glow cams can substitute.

I may actually prefer them on large fields and food plots where I really don't care if the flash causes the deer to keep a greater distance after an exposure or two.
This is the one situation where I don't mind a red glow camera - over big openings/food plots. Yes, deer may keep a greater distance from the camera at night due to the visible red flash, but red-glow-flash cameras can project light much farther into the dark than true black-flash cams, hence you can still get clear pictures of the deer at greater distances out into the field.

TheLBLman

I usually have my red-flash units on "economy" flash mode even when on fields. But if something of interest starts showing up beyond the flash range, I'll just remotely change the flash range to "long range".

Also, for whatever reasons, deer don't seem to spook as much from flash when they're out in the open in a field, as they do on a woodland's scrape (or any setup in thicker cover). If I use a red flash cam on a salt lick, I generally position it a little farther away than I might true black flash cams.

As an aside, the main eater of battery life is typically nighttime flash. With a cell cam, it's pretty easy to have the down time between triggering events a greater duration at night vs during the day, to increase battery life. I may have a cam set to take 3 pics per event, as often as every few seconds, during the day, but go to 2 pics per 1 to 5 minutes during the night.

BSK

Also, for whatever reasons, deer don't seem to spook as much from flash when they're out in the open in a field, as they do on a woodland's scrape (or any setup in thicker cover).
Agree with this completely.

If I were trying to census a deer herd over just food plots, I might go all red-glow cameras.