Never had it happen, till today.

DMAG

I got to my stand around 6:30 am as I was running late. Had a group of 6 does come through around 7:00 and another 5 about 10 minutes later. A spike was chasing does back and forth and when a third group of older does came out. On camera, a good buck has trailed them almost every time. Sure enough, he steps out and starts to run them when I stop him and release my arrow. I was 35 foot in the air, so the shot was pretty steep. I hit him good, blood pumping everywhere and he was eating dirt on the way out. I gave him an hour and a half and started tracking him. Well I finally end up on my hands and knees to a clear cut with tiny specs of blood. I was getting nervous cause blood was getting scarce. I find a speck here a speck there and look up and he is looking at me at about 60 yards. I knocked another arrow at put another one through him and he drops to all fours. Then for 20 minutes he just sat looking at me. I said I can't take it anymore, so I put a third one through him. That ended it. This was a first for me and to be honest, if I could take the first arrow back, I would. I felt like I failed as a hunter. Archer has always been my love, but this tore my heart out today.

UTGrad

DMAG said:
I got to my stand around 6:30 am as I was running late. Had a group of 6 does come through around 7:00 and another 5 about 10 minutes later. A spike was chasing does back and forth and when a third group of older does came out. On camera, a good buck has trailed them almost every time. Sure enough, he steps out and starts to run them when I stop him and release my arrow. I was 35 foot in the air, so the shot was pretty steep. I hit him good, blood pumping everywhere and he was eating dirt on the way out. I gave him an hour and a half and started tracking him. Well I finally end up on my hands and knees to a clear cut with tiny specs of blood. I was getting nervous cause blood was getting scarce. I find a speck here a speck there and look up and he is looking at me at about 60 yards. I knocked another arrow at put another one through him and he drops to all fours. Then for 20 minutes he just sat looking at me. I said I can't take it anymore, so I put a third one through him. That ended it. This was a first for me and to be honest, if I could take the first arrow back, I would. I felt like I failed as a hunter. Archer has always been my love, but this tore my heart out today.

Glad you got him. Sometimes the "killing" part of hunting doesn't go as smooth.

bowhunter163

UTGrad said:
DMAG said:

Glad you got him. Sometimes the "killing" part of hunting doesn't go as smooth.
I agree , sometimes things happen . I think all of us feel bad when stuff like that happens . I know I do . But on a happier note congrats on getting it done with the bow . And post up some pictures .

DMAG

ok, il see if i can get a pic posted. Thats what is great about this site, you guys understand. I was explaining this to my wife and she said, "But babe, you bow hunt, eventually it will happen." I know she's right, but you want to believe that if you do your part, your safe. Il see if I can get a pic up

LanceS4803

Not a deer, but I had to put 3 arrows into a coyote. He just wouldn't die. The last arrow didn't even draw much blood at that point, he was empty.
Bad day for both of us.

deerhunter10

it sucks for sure man but she is right atleast you did the right thing after the shot and put a couple more in him. good buck for sure congrats on that. may take a little while to get past but your wife is right bow hunters gun hunters all of them it will happen. whitetails are ridiculously tough animals and a very strong will to survive. It sucks but got to move past it man. like they said sometimes it just doesn't go as smooth as any hunter would like. congrats man.

MMHunter

Great deer! It would of rattled me a little too. The Main thing is you got the deer and it didn't go to waste. Congrats

Toxophilite Phil

How can you say you feel you failed as a hunter? You shot it, trailed it, seen he was still alive and then finished the deal. In my opinion you succeeded as a hunter. Never giving up even when there wasn't much sign to go on makes you a hunter. After the shot is when the real work begins. I would be proud to hunt with you and even prouder to call you a bowhunter.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Congrats and good job on doing what you had to do.
I don't think you failed at all either.

I do, however, feel you were too high.
I got a buddy that I have tracked quite a few deer for.
He refuses to bowhunt less than 30 feet high in a tree.
A one lung shot deer can go a long way.

My only suggestion, and granted I am not preaching nor saying I am nowhere near a good hunter, but I would stay a bit lower if possible.

DMAG

Toxophilite Phil I sure do appreciate your comments. I always try and learn something when a situation like this comes up and try and figure out what I would do different. I agree with Ruger on this, If I would have been lower, the shot could have possibly been double lung, but at the height I was at, I got spine and one lung. Plus he was running through a creek bottom, which put him about 8 feet lower than the ground. I really enjoy listening to the advice on here. I would do anything to have had someone growing up to take me hunting. My family didn't hunt, so I have had to learn on my own, which is why I enjoy reading other hunters opinions on things. Thanks guys for all the comments and pointers!!!!

Latest posts