Need help with some advise for 13 yr old

reloadxx

2-Step Enabled
Ok my son is new to shooting like couple months he is 13 and wants to kill a deer this year with his bow. So I been helping him with his form. Other than he looks like he is leaning back what else does he need to work on? I been watching slow motion video of him till my eyes hurt. Just like someone else's input.
b459a2d45f5c0a2d3c284c77f9aea10b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Grill-n-man

Re: Need help with some advise for 13 yr old

The leaning back part is correct in that it needs worked on, but no worries I see alot of kids getting into shooting doing this. Takes time but with help they work out of it, Also looks like his head is tilting down or leaning into the peep to see. And possibly the left arm is locked straight, if so i could be from to much grip on the bow or to long of draw length. This is just from what I think I can see from the pic. 3 things about new shooters to remember - 1 is that it is an almost never ending adjustment to equipment and form, especially kids cause their body is still changing, until they hone on "their" form 2- have to be able to sort through all the hype, bull, the "experts"/books, band wagoners, etc and take bits and pieces from those and find what works for you. As there is no such thing as one and only one way to shoot archery with the exception of being consistent in your shooting form from start to finish. 3 - And the most important thing of all is not to lose focus on the fact that its fun. If he has fun and keeps having fun he will be easier to correct and progress much faster.

ImThere

It does look like his length is to long. It looks like his left elbow needs rotated out so the string don't tear him up. It does appear his left elbow is locked out. From the pic it also looks like his peep needs raised on the sting have him draw the bow back and anchor with his eyes closed and then open them. I would guess he wouldn't see through his peep when he does this

Sent from my
Sit drag, Ernie's outdoors linesman belt,
At 20' up

TNDeerGuy

I would really like to see another picture that doesn't have him in the shadows, with a light background.

It looks like his draw length is about an 1" too long and his grip is incorrect (way too much of a low grip and palm heavy) resulting in the locked arm and it also appears that his fingers are completely extended, which induces stress and tension.

See if you can get another pic that shows him in better lighting and let's see what we have.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

gobblinfool

Have your son stand like he is drawing a bow and make a fist with his bow hand and put his knuckles on the door like he is at full draw, measure from the wall to the corner of his mouth, this will get you close with his draw length........until you get draw length fixed.....all the other fixes are pointless. Not trying to be harsh, but incorrect drawlength influences everything else.

reloadxx

2-Step Enabled

TNDeerGuy":3d84l404 said:
I would really like to see another picture that doesn't have him in the shadows, with a light background.

It looks like his draw length is about an 1" too long and his grip is incorrect (way too much of a low grip and palm heavy) resulting in the locked arm and it also appears that his fingers are completely extended, which induces stress and tension.

See if you can get another pic that shows him in better lighting and let's see what we have.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
I will get some more pictures of grip and elbow in a couple days he is gone to his mom's.

reloadxx

2-Step Enabled

gobblinfool":3hs4cejn said:
Have your son stand like he is drawing a bow and make a fist with his bow hand and put his knuckles on the door like he is at full draw, measure from the wall to the corner of his mouth, this will get you close with his draw length........until you get draw length fixed.....all the other fixes are pointless. Not trying to be harsh, but incorrect drawlength influences everything else.
Will do that and see what it measure and adjust

tree_ghost

I would start with the clear pic. Angles are very deceiving when trying to diagnose a form issue from a photo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

reloadxx

2-Step Enabled

I done the measuring like suggested and it was 26.5 so bow was set at 27 inch I moved it back to 26 in and that is what it is set at in the picture. He says it hard to hold back due to his arm bent
78dec003df17e52dc9f57fa900466c85.jpg
7960b1c808a270184dd614a3f19b1443.jpg
fb863355a0104732fc19829544676e42.jpg
d7ce0979128514d11551c63be602638b.jpg
667fb7b16c018af2ed457c199c7a8fde.jpg

tree_ghost

He's choking the grip. Have him rotate his grip hand about 10-15 degrees and that will push his elbow out. He is leaning back big time and is off balance. He needs to have his head directly centered above his spine in a straight line. Usually this happens due to having to long a draw but that's not the case here. Actually it looks to short. In fact I believe that's what is causing his front arm to bunch up into the shoulder. He needs to push that front should out a little. The picture angles still aren't the best. Take one of him like this one.... http://images.soleadventure.com/full-dr ... -shape.jpg

ImThere

Need help with some advise for 13 yr old

I was always told "pinky up" it will rotate his elbow. I think he looks uncomfortable in his back maybe needs to "stand up" to correct his posture? It also looks like he's not inline with his bow like

Sent from my
Sit drag, Ernie's outdoors linesman belt,
At 20' up

OMA 615

Shooting a bow is all about form get him a restance band to work on it when he's not shooting....relaxed hands a must and have him start with lower weight draw and work up as his muscles get stronger

reloadxx

2-Step Enabled

Here is on more picture I turned bow down and we just worked on getting him standing up straight
ef12b27c0c50162e8aa2ff80e9b3ae1f.jpg

bloodtrailing

Anchor point is too far back. You need to get the book idiot proof archery. It will help a lot.

tree_ghost

I agree anchor is good. His stance needs to be opened up about 4-6inches. Drop his elbow down on the trigger arm. His grip still needs adjustment see this pic below. Also that front shoulder is still compressed but we will get to that after he adjusts his stance and grip.
e673d29a8bdab747f57d9d1230ad4138.jpg

TheAirMan

Looks to me like it wouldn't hurt if the peep was raised up a little. Looks like he is looking down to me.

TNDeerGuy

First thing, get him a wrist sling! He is death-gripping the bow because he's afraid his new plaything is gonna hit the concrete! :) More on that in a minute...

His draw-length is spot on—the nock point should be equal to the outer edge of the eye. The line of sight should be close to parallel with the bow arm (he's very close)

He does need to relax the release arm and that elbow. If that release is adjustable shorten the throat of it where it is at the knuckle closest to the palm (it looks like he may have to stretch it out and is using the fingertip). Getting it deep will allow him to have more of a surprise release and will help discourage "punching" because he is having to stretch for it.

His stance appears to be closed (it could be just the camera angle) on his lower half, but open on the upper torso—this will put everything in a bind if that's the case. Most people shoot and find the most comfort with a very slight open stance. I like putting people up against a wall (especially kids), so they can feel what a square stance is, from the feet to the shoulders—it also encourages them to stand up straight, which will allow proper support of the skeletal structure and will allow for easier activation of the right rhomboid when/if he decides to start incorporating back tension as the means to start the shot sequence. Whatever he does, make sure the feet, hips and shoulders are pointed together in the same direction for the most part.

The biggest thing by far is the grip and his bow arm. The diagram tree ghost provided is spot on and here it what it looks like in action.

See the 45degree slope of the knuckles

Attachments

• hand3.jpg
    hand3.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 5,123

Latest posts