need help with pond question

reloadxx

2-Step Enabled
ok been duck hunting for 5yrs always hunted the lake well finally got a good pond {i think} well im taking my sone sunday to try and kill his first duck. so question is for you pond guys what kind of spread due you all put out for ponds that never has been hunted or called on? or due you just set there and let them come?

Spoonbillmallard

Well usually when we hunt a pond like that which hasn't been hunted before we normally just pitch out maybe 6 decoys and see how the ducks react. If ducks are using a pond they are going to come in there whether you call or not. But you may have to call a little bit to get them close enough for a shot, depending on how big a pond it is. But you may see some fly by's that aren't wanting to land there or headed somewhere else. In that case normally its pretty easy to convince them to land you just have to have your decoys in a highly visable spot. But pond hunts can be extremely fun if there are quite a few ducks using them. But make sure you hide REALLY well!!!! That is the most important thing about hunting ponds. Those ducks have been there a lot and they know what it looks like. So if they see anything out of place or something new there you can hang it up. But just try to put decoys in a place where it will distract them from looking in your direction. And always stay still lol!!!! But good luck man it can be a blast if it goes right. Hope you put em down!!!

reloadxx

2-Step Enabled
Thanks for the tips yea i here pond hunting can be fun this will be my firat pond hunt and wth my son by my side will make it even better. Just didnt no about the decoys here different storys about mojos and decoys spooking them off

rocket04

I would avoid the mojos because like spoonbill said if they are already using the pond it wont take much if any decoys to coax them in. we use about 6-10 decoys on a decent size pond and on smaller ponds where shooting the length is no problem we usually will use 2-3 closer to the middle of the pond. cover is definitely key and if you hide well it will be some good shooting. good luck and I hope your son gets him a couple quackers.

reloadxx

2-Step Enabled
The pond is not really that big maybe an acre or little bigger its in the middle of a field cant see it from the road but they are only one tree beside the pond so we r going in layout blinds under the tree i no geese and ducks use it i bow hunt the land beside it and watch them land there all norning long hope they do the same thing in the morning love to see him wack a big green head

reloadxx

2-Step Enabled
Well i think he is hooked went in set up under the big cedar tree right at shooting light had a group of 5 greenheads come in and circle and when he seen them he went to shaking so bad well they landed 60yrds out and then it happen ducks everywhere he was tore up so with 30+ mallards setting on pond he said he was ready so i just there to watch this unfold the 20gauge beat the crap out of him he missed everytime but i was happy he shot 4 more times at green heads and never hit a duck but he said he was happy and had fun even if he missed

Spoonbillmallard

Thats awesome man!!! Sounds like you hit a honey hole there. You may have to give em a week or so and give em a try again. Most of the time they will come back in but there are some cases we have seen where they don't come back til next year haha!!

reloadxx

2-Step Enabled
Yea we waa going to give them 2 weeks then try them again going to have to invest in him a layout blind i think that wouod be the way to go with not much cover

Latest posts