Need Elk Taxidermist for repair

LanceS4803

I have a completed elk shoulder mount that needs to have one antler made removeable. (The original taxidermist assured me it wouldn't be a problem to get it through doors, until we could barely get it out of his shop.)
I realize this will involve peeling back the skin and probably removing the skull place, but the darned thing is too wide to deal with as it is.
Dustin Vaine (RMEF recommendation) in Dickson can't do it, and Wilson's in Franklin doesn't have the time.
Anyone have suggestions for someone they trust to do this?

LanceS4803

Thank you, will be giving him a call.

In case this falls through, as others have, I'm still open to suggested taxidermist.

AT Hiker

I really wish I could help you out. Unfortunately I'll be out of town in Mid September and my fall is pretty busy, plus my stand is made for deer size game.
If you cannot find anyone I will do it for you, just know it might take me a little bit to get to it. Might have to have you help me reattached it too.
I'll have to order the fast set acrylic so that in itself might take a week or so to get. I have no clue what it will cost either.

I'm surprised RMEF referred that guy, maybe he is a advertising member.

LanceS4803

When I first talked to him he told me would have to research how to do it. In the end, he declined. Which is fine.

Bottom Line: If you take an elk, moose or caribou, hold out for a taxidermist that will do removeable antlers! No ifs, ands or buts.

SEC

25 year full time taxidermist here. The most simple fix I can think of is to put a wet towel around the antlers and the top of the skull for a couple days. Then have your taxidermist come over and remove the antlers. Then bring inside your house the mount, antlers and a mounting stand. Reinstall the antlers and sew it all back up. The entire process should only take a couple hours. If I was closer to you I could knock it out easily.

TraumaSlave

Just a thought...... my son and I made a cat tree for my wife for Xmas. Well, my go big or go home put us in a spot of not being able to get it through the door. Took the living room window apart.

LanceS4803

I wish...
Funny thing is, I will be in UT next week where there is no lack of taxidermist that can do it. But, that thing definitely isn't checked baggage material!

Latest posts