need a scope for the .223

.444 Marlin

I'm gonna be using it for deer/varmints so I'm lookin for a scope no more powerful than 6-18 and no bigger than 42mm and id also like to have a AO and dont want it any longer than 12-13" if possible. Yeah, I'm kinda picky lol I also don't wanna spend any more than about $150.

Any ideas? I hate BSA scopes but they have a scope that's about as close as I'm gonna get to what I'm lookin for. Its on ebay and doesn't list the length though.

redblood

I would not 6-18 east of the mississippi, or west for that matter. The bottom end is still too high. If you are going to be calling coyotes, they will be coming in fast and close and and 6X will hurt you and u will never use 18. I would recommend a 3-10 or 4-12 at the most. Would avoid a BSA like the plaque. Elite 3200, full field 2, or low end leupold in the 200.00 -250 range is about as good as you will do in my opinion.

ShaneHallum

I would agree. leupold 2.5-8x36 would be a nice one to use. if you could find a used one.

.223 will reach out and touch something with good glass.

Kimberman

4-12 or 4.5-14. 40-44 mm objective. Save your $ and get a better scope than a 150$, especially when you are looking at higher magnification scope. I have a buddy who has a Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14 and my Dad has a 6-18 Buckmaster. They both like them, but that would probably be the lower end I would consider for that magnification range.

Whelen Man

R.I.P.
I've got one of the Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14 scopes. It would do what you want but would require some extra cash above what you want. I've been pleased with mine. Can't you get a discount on something at Wally World to help with price?

vonb

Can't go wrong with Nikon scopes. I tend to like the BDCs on a hunting rifle as long as you know the subtensions and what you're load is doing.

TheLBLman

.444 Marlin said:
I found somethin pretty close to what I'm lookin for. Its a 2.5-10x42 nikon monarch used for $125
I suggest you jump on that.

After you use it a while, it will become much "clearer" regarding what some of us have been talking about with "decent" glass vs. "cheap" glass. The Monarch is very decent glass.

You likely could use it for a couple years, and still get $125 for it.

7mm08

OK, dumb question. But then I am known for that! Can ANY scope (say traditional deer hunting scope) be used on a AR, especially a flat top? Is there too much recoil, although low as opposed to say a 30-06, over time throw the scope off?

Thanks

.444 Marlin

7mm08 said:
OK, dumb question. But then I am known for that! Can ANY scope (say traditional deer hunting scope) be used on a AR, especially a flat top? Is there too much recoil, although low as opposed to say a 30-06, over time throw the scope off?

Thanks

You can use any scope on a flat top AR But if its over about 36mm you will have to get extra high rings. That's what happend when I put my leupold vx-III 3-9x40 on my mp-15/22 flat top because the objective end hit the picatinny rail.

7mm08

.444 Marlin said:
7mm08 said:

Thanks

You can use any scope on a flat top AR But if its over about 36mm you will have to get extra high rings. That's what happend when I put my leupold vx-III 3-9x40 on my mp-15/22 flat top because the objective end hit the picatinny rail.

Hmmmm...And "most" scopes are 40mm Dia. right? Thanks

.444 Marlin

7mm08 said:
.444 Marlin said:
7mm08 said:

Thanks

Hmmmm...And "most" scopes are 40mm Dia. right? Thanks

Depends. You could get a smaller scope and do just fine. Id take it to a gunshop and try several different scopes/ring heights before I bought anything though.

Latest posts