Neck size or Full Length ?

Tennessee Devildog

I have always full sized my brass, don't even own neck sizing dies. I will admit that I have looked into it, but even though there were plenty of videos saying to neck size, I watched/read enough to not change to neck sizing.

I agree with Omega 100%. Neck sizing is NOT the right answer. Full length size every time.

DaveTN

I have always full sized my brass, don't even own neck sizing dies. I will admit that I have looked into it, but even though there were plenty of videos saying to neck size, I watched/read enough to not change to neck sizing.
Omaga, thanks for that video. As a rookie reloader I've wondered about neck sizing. Seeing that cast of characters Cortina polls, answers any question I had about doing it. :cool:

UTGrad

Non belted cartridges I full length size and bump the shoulder back 1-2 thousandths.

Belted magnums like my 7mm STW, I full length size new or once fired brass and then neck size afterwards until it gets hard to chamber and then I full length size

Belted magnums are notorious for case head separation above the belt and full length sizing weakens the case wall above the belt with all the stretch.

DaveB

Belted magnums are notorious for case head separation above the belt and full length sizing weakens the case wall above the belt with all the stretch.

This is why Magnum brass is good for 5 loads and that's about it.

I do not like neck sizing. Just an opinion because I could not tell the difference in the field or at the range. YMMV

Remi

Treat your belted magnum cases like the belt isn't there and headpsace them off the shoulder and they will last as long as anything else. .002" shoulder setback works on belted mags just like everything else. That will reduce case stretch and headspace separation. I size my 7rm and 300wm like a nonbelted case.

MUP

Treat your belted magnum cases like the belt isn't there and headpsace them off the shoulder and they will last as long as anything else. .002" shoulder setback works on belted mags just like everything else. That will reduce case stretch and headspace separation. I size my 7rm and 300wm like a nonbelted case.
I've got some factory Remington 300 WinMag brass cases that I have loaded over 7 times so far and still have at least another load or two left in them I think. I headspace off the shoulder and don't worry about the belt either.

Remi

I've got some factory Remington 300 WinMag brass cases that I have loaded over 7 times so far and still have at least another load or two left in them I think. I headspace off the shoulder and don't worry about the belt either.

yep, I have some 7rm brass with a dozen loads on them.

UTGrad

Maybe it's the Remington brass but I get about 5 loads and there is a distinct line above the belt and a notch inside the case. That is full length sizing and bumping shoulder back two thousandths.

Latest posts