NCAA Immediate Transfer rule

Grandslam11

What are your thoughts on the NCAA changing the rules on Immediate Transfers? IMO its going to change college football. 2-3 year players are going to try to re-live the recruiting cycle and get as much attention as they can. I don't like it personally.

BMan

They should implement it, with the condition that the school transferred into cannot offer a scholarship for two years.

And actually require the athletes to uphold the STUDENT part of student athlete.

PillsburyDoughboy

I think it will favor larger programs and winning programs in the short term. In the long run It will force smaller programs to step up their game and lower tier schools with poor performances on the field to figure out what they are doing wrong and match and exceed what the big dogs are doing. It could wind up being a good thing in the long run.

PillsburyDoughboy

I think some of the really good players that are on the top teams that are riding the pine may rethink and transfer somewhere they can actually play
Possibly. Depends on the team they are playing for I guess. That and their outlook towards the future. If they are potential NFL caliber players they would seriously want to rethink leaving a top 8 program to go play a lower tier program IMHO. Even if that means riding the pine for a season.

sun

I think that it will hurt the kids who are trying to get recruited out of high school.
Now all of a sudden coaches can by-pass teaching younger kids how to play in favor of giving scholarships to these "free agent" upper classmen from the transfer portal.
Personally I don't like the change.
The NCAA should have never allowed waivers and made all transfers sit out a year.
But instead they started giving arbitrary waivers to some transfers and not others to get people used to the idea.
Now look at how many players want to transfer.
Transferring schools should be discouraged, not encouraged.
This change will probably have an effect on sports betting too.

Last edited:

PillsburyDoughboy

I think that it will hurt the kids who are trying to get recruited out of high school.
Now all of a sudden coaches can by-pass teaching younger kids how to play in favor of giving scholarships to these "free agent" upper classmen from the transfer portal.
The NCAA should have never allowed waivers and made all transfers sit out a year.
But instead they started giving arbitrary waivers to some transfers and not others to get people used to the idea.
Maybe it will hurt the 3 star players

4 and 5 Star players will always be sought out by the top teams . That's how top teams reload and maintain depth and stay at the top .

PillsburyDoughboy

Not according to Nick Saban.

A couple of key quotes stand out IMHO

"In other words, Alabama plans to continue recruiting and developing the nation's best high school players rather than rely on the transfer portal as a farm system."

"But the transfer portal includes a lot of "bad players (leaving) good teams, because they're not playing," as Saban put it."

Mescalero

Not according to Nick Saban.

A couple of key quotes stand out IMHO

"In other words, Alabama plans to continue recruiting and developing the nation's best high school players rather than rely on the transfer portal as a farm system."

"But the transfer portal includes a lot of "bad players (leaving) good teams, because they're not playing," as Saban put it."
Of course you have to keep recruiting at a high level.

But what are you and Saban smoking? Baker Mayfield, Joe Burrow, Kyler Murray, Trey Sermon, Justin Fields, Jalen Hurts, Jabrill Cox, etc etc. Yeah right. All "bad players."

On average, 50% of a typical college student class will transfer. Why shouldn't athletes be allowed to transfer?

Latest posts