Native Browse

remington

I have some very long fire lanes on our place that the soil is in terribile shape. I see deer out in the lanes daily usually crossing but some stop and browse.

Will it help any to lime and fertilize these areas? I mean will deer find the grass and weeds growing in these lanes more attractive afterward.
Whats the best way to do it? I don't have a disk but can get a bushog and we usually mow it in late Sept, would it be best to spread after we bushog or spread this spring and let it grow and bushog again in Sept?

Quailman

Chris Tripp said:
best way? spray and kill the grasses, the let it grow up

Good advice Chris. Remington, not only would I spray the grasses, but lime and fertilizer applications will help increase the quality of the native weed species on your property. If at all possible, I would try to disk those areas as well. Annual disking will help stimulate the production of "weeds" such as ragweed, beggarweed, partridge pea, pokeweed, etc. that are highly desirable to wildlife.

To be honest with you, disking (or burning if possible) would be number 1 on my list before anythying else.

Latest posts