Establishing native warm season grasses.

SEC

Anybody ever dealt with this. From the research I have done. It appears to be a little tricky to do it right.

Diehard Hunter

It can be. You have to make sure you have all the fescue out, and control the weeds without killing the species you want. Fire can be your friend!

SEC

I just sprayed the fescue with 64oz of round-up per acre today. That should put a hurt on it.

BSK

I have a client that has become a master of planting stands of NWSG. I'll ask him about his current planting routine. But he sure had to learn everything the hard way. Successfully establishing NWSG is a real learned art.

SEC

It just makes sense. That is what's suppose to be here before modern man got here and screwed it all up.

woodsman87

SEC said:
It just makes sense. That is what's suppose to be here before modern man got here and screwed it all up.

I agree. About all the grass I see is bermuda, fescue, and crab. I probably don't even know what a real native grass is since this is all I see.

landman

BSK said:
I have a client that has become a master of planting stands of NWSG. I'll ask him about his current planting routine. But he sure had to learn everything the hard way. Successfully establishing NWSG is a real learned art.

BSK is he in Montgomery Co. I've got got a friend thats serious
with it, wondered if he was using you

Planking

I got some state help with it and have been very pleased. 6 years in and have good stands. Quail, deer, bobcats galore. Ive only burned once and not likely to ever do that again. When you light that stuff it GOES. No issues, but please be very prepared.

BSK

landman said:
BSK said:

BSK is he in Montgomery Co. I've got got a friend thats serious
with it, wondered if he was using you

Nope, Hickman County near Primm Springs.

nwsg76

The TWRA private lands biologist are excellent at est. Nwsg. They help plant more nwsg than anyone in the state. Your off to a good start by fall spaying fescue. Be patient because it will take one to two years before you get a good stand. The structure provided by the plants is what your looking for.
Side note. The twra private lands biologist are affected by the gov shutdown due to their offices are in federal buildings. So be patient because their phones and email don't work either right now.

Farm manager

I have had success with nwsg establishment by spraying 1-2 quarts glyphosate in mid to late march spray the same rate a second time a day or so before you plant. Plant between April 15 and May 15. Rent or borrow a no-till drill that is designed to plant nwsg seed unless you by debearded seed or straight switchgrass which can be planted with any drill that has a small seed box. Do not exceed the recommended planting rate. A field with 30-60% grass with the remainder being blackberries and weeds is more beneficial than a stand of pure grass. Layout your fields so you can manage with fire, leaving a 20-30 ft strip around the edge that you can plant in an annual green crop like oats, wheat, (that you can disk under) or a good clean clover strip can provide a perennial green fire line. If you are in an area where burning is not an option, plant to the woods edge and add any food strips out in the field. The transition from the woods to the food is softened with the tall grass.

Latest posts