Naps in the woods

Poleaxe

I always take a good nap right after ive climbed up for a afternoon hunt after ive just filled my belly with lunch and not slept much the night before. When I say "good nap" I mean drooling off the side of my summit. Sometimes I can hear deer coming and I try and tell myself to get up but it wont respond. At the times it does your legs are to numb and asleep to stand.

reloadxx

2-Step Enabled
I got a good one i fell asleep once when i was younger my dad and uncle had drop me off at the tree one morning with my stand and bow and when i got climbed up out i went i slept all morning and come time to leave my dad and uncle came back threw to get me and i was still asleep up in the tree they could not get me awake so my uncle climbed the tree and stood on my platform and woke me up thank god for safety harness because i would not be here today because i was leaving that stand. Good times now i set back and laugh

woodsman87

I try not to sleep in stand but sometimes I fall asleep that hour before daylight on purpose just to pass the time. Also getting in the stand in early afternoon with a full belly after watching football I cant help myself to sleep till about 330-400 when deer usually start moving.
I have heard deer walking in leaves while I am dozing and would be so sleepy I cannot raise my head. haha.
And there have been several occasions when I nap and wake up there would be deer in the foodplot.

Mike Belt

For every 100 hours I spend on stand I doze 15 minutes....maybe. I just don't sleep while deer hunting. A deer can walk right by you while you're wide awake and you never hear a sound and miss him if you're not watching. If I had to pick 1 word to describe the number 1 feeling I get out of deer hunting it would be "anticipation". That's what gets me out of bed, that's what keeps me going back, and that's what keeps me awake on stand.

Hunter 257W

I recall one day that I hunted when I was sick almost to the point of having the Flu. I went anyway but was so run down that I leaned back against an old cedar fence post and went to sleep for about an hour and a half. Don't know what I missed but I sure felt better when I woke up. :)

sallee-bo

During ML season of 86 I was sitting at the base of tree on a ridge (almost a bluff) overlooking a small creek bottom where three trails converged. Don't know how long I had been asleep but a dadgum squirel came down that tree and ran across my chest! Maaaaaan you talk about soiling your pants!!! needless to say , my hunt was over. After the ruckus I made I probably spooked every deer in the county!

Crosshairy

I fight sleep sometimes, but USUALLY I can stay awake with only the occasional nodding.

I'm helped by the fact that I often only hunt one morning per week, with the occasional short trip after work in the evenings. Consequently, I can usually avoid the really bad fatigue that sets in from several days straight on stand.

If I am doing a relatively rare all-day hunt, I will plan on taking a nap for 20-30 minutes under a tree somewhere, and that usually helps a lot. Otherwise, if I can't stay sharp, I'll stand up for a bit. I just got a smart phone for the first time back in June, so I also have the back-up back-up plan of reading something on my phone to shake my brain awake.

LY

This is too funny, I've many stories and can relate with all of them. Usually I'll catnap but every once in awhile I'll just pass out hard. Sometimes it's the best sleep I get.