My Thanksgiving Day Buck

SteveJ

I've been reading some of y'alls stories and figured I'd post one from Thanksgiving day.

I had been pretty discouraged this year having not seen one good buck. I had seen a lot of does and small bucks but nothing good that I wanted to shoot. My dad never has been a hunter but has always enjoyed being around it if me or my brother was successful just because he knew it meant a lot to us. So everytime I've shot a deer, I've called dad and if I'm hunting local, he'll come and help drag or just ride around in the truck while I take it to the processor.

This year, some things came up in the family and we had to push our Thanksgiving shin-dig out to Saturday so I headed to the woods on Thanksgiving morning. I had told dad I was going out and where I'd be. Dad has bad legs now and isn't able to help drag anymore but likes to come hang out if I get one.

Fifteen minutes after getting in the stand I heard what I thought was a buck grunt in a thicket nearby but I never heard any walking in the leaves and figured I would as dry as the woods were, so I just disregarded it. Later on a little 6 pt came by the thicket and took off running as he approached the area where I heard the grunt so it made me curious. Around 9 am, I thought I heard leaves rustling but thought it was a squirrel. As I continued to listen and look, I saw a doe coming from the corner of the thicket just feeding around under some mature oaks. After a few minutes here came another deer out behind her but I couldn't tell what it was since I could only see the back half. A few minutes later, I saw some horns and saw immediately that he was a shooter. He stepped into an opening and stopped and I dropped him.

I called dad to let him know and mom answered his phone. I told her to let him know I got one and I could hear dad yelling from the bathroom that he was on the way! Somehow he already knew. On my way walking back to get the truck and meet dad, I stopped to thank the Lord for blessing me and caring about the little things in life. Dad met me at the bottom of the hill and we rode up the old road bed in my truck. After getting the deer gutted and loaded into the truck, we rode down the hill and he said, "I sure am thankful to the Lord you got one.. I was praying that the Lord would let you get a good one this morning cuz I could tell you were discouraged about it." That really meant a lot to me.

I thank the Lord for the good hunt and the good memories.
Resized_20211125_093858.jpeg

20211125_093048.jpg

trout

The Lord has blessed you and your father with this trophy buck! I lost my father on Veterans and every hunt since has a flood of memories. I know that you and your father will never forget. Congratulations and thanks for sharing!

Gronk

Great buck, better story. Lost my dad about 6 years ago and don't think he ever tasted venison. I know he never hunted. First time my mom tried it 5 years ago she loved it

Latest posts