My Old Man

Duck dogn

Dad is 86 years old and still kills deer every year. He has killed a spike and a six point this year. He hunts over a small food plot next to my house. I set out a lawn chair and he puts down a blanket to sit on and then covers up with another blanket. He never goes out before about eight o'clock and usually only sits about 1- 2 hours. Most of the time that is all it takes. He will often sit during odd times as he hunts when the notion strikes. He's more apt to hunt warm days but will hunt some in the cold. He sits there eating Debbie cakes and peanut butter crackers whilst swilling pop. He is a noisy eater. He makes these guttural sounds when he eats. I have oft wondered if the bucks he kills come out of curiosity when they hear him making those sounds. He frequently tells me he was eating when the deer appeared.

I also cannot think of him ever missing a shot. His main weapon is his 1948 manufacture Winchester 94 30-30 he got for Christmas when he was 12. Now his shots are close, less than 50 yards, but he just does not miss. I bought him a muzzle loader 10 or 12 years ago and he has never missed with it either. He has an old Iver-Johnson Champion single shot 16 gauge that he bought as a young teenager. He has killed a few deer with it just to see if he could. He also shot one with my Smith & Wesson model 57 41 magnum revolver.

He still guts them himself and drags them out of the plot if that happens to be where they fall. The ones that run into the woods he'll leave for me to get when I return from my hunt. His first deer hunt was in the 1949 season down around Citico Creek in Monroe County. He never killed a deer when he hunted from then through the early sixties. He quit hunting until I started to pester him about it in the early eighties. Then he took me every year until I was old enough to go alone. Out of the blue about 2006 he started hunting again. He was 70. His first buck was a very nice 9 point he took near my old house in Scott County. He has hunted every season since and has taken deer each year I believe. Most years he tags out!

I hope he lives to be 100 and still sits in his lawn chair under his yellow blanket with the Alphabet printed on it and his trusty 30-30 murdering cream pies, cokes, and bucks!
Awesome story bud keep the memories going.

Chiflyguy

Nice post.
My dad didn't hunt but we spent some great days in the boat together.
Do you ever grab another lawn chair and sit with him?

348Winchester

Awesome story and so glad he's able to still enjoy hunting deer . And you considering it a joy hunting with him instead of a burden shows your character brother !
I have been a burden to him! He can be a pain in the ass like we all are at times. But, in the end, he has always been there for me so I will be there for him.

Latest posts