Food Plots My 1st plot i think is a success!

RiverBuck10

Every since I was a young hunter I've always wanted to hunt over my very own food plot! Well after 36 years I think it is going to happen! Three years ago I bought 8 acres that is surrounded by thousand of State park and private land and has tons of deer on it! So this year I decided to put my very first food plot on it!

*First off thanks to everyone who post in this forum, I read it everyday for months before I started my project because I had no idea to what I was doing! I hope you enjoy the pictures!

To begin we had to make room for the food plots! It was solid woods!

The next few pics is my father-n-law gettin'er done on the dozer! He works magic on that thing

Finger #1

We cut out 2 different fingers (each finger 180'x15') with about 30' of woods in between the two fingers for cover.

Finger #2

After we cleared for the plots we sprayed the heck out of them with weed killer and got as many roots and rocks out of the plot as possible! My back was sore for days!

After letting it set for a few weeks we went back out and bumped tons of lime on it. (I had a soil test done from the WTI and they told me how much lime and fertilizer was needed for growth) After letting it sit for a week we went back out and turned it all back up and added more lime!!

After mixing all the lime in I went back with my 4wheeler and packed it all down real good and waited on a day to plant before the next good rain!

This is finger #1 ready to plat. Finger #2 is like this ready to go as well but forgot to take a pic of it!! It is just to the right about 30/40'

Well I'm happy to say the rain came and the seed was out!(I planted WTI Whitetail Extreme and Clover)This is the result after about 14 day of growth! Not a lot of growth yet but hey I'm just happy to see anything green growing in it!!

Finger #1

Finger #2

And the best part about it I have already had some visitors and you can see the doe and baby feeding on the little stuff coming up!! This makes me happy happy happy, maybe it will be a success!!

Once again thanks to everyone for the info on the forum!! Yall did great! And sorry for the long read and lots of pictures, I hope it helps somebody out like me that had no idea what they were doing!!

God Bless!

tn droptine

Very nice! I plan on doing a little dozer work myself this coming year to create a plot inside my woods to compliment the plots I have in my field.

Looks like you should have a great season! I like the way you did your plot with the two fingers with the cover between them

Latest posts