My 1st Elk hunt...CO

trap55555

2-Step Enabled
Crosshairy said:
I've been looking very seriously into going as well. Unfortunately, neither I nor my family members have any experience out west, so we're most likely going with some sort of guide or outfitter service.

I didn't have any any either, but it's not radically different. I recommend that you get references on any guides and/or outfitters you might consider. I've heard/read some stories on some of them.

Crosshairy said:
I've certainly been thinking a lot about physical conditioning before going out. It sounds like lung-busting work!

Physical conditioning can't be understated for the type of hunting that we did. I ride a road bicycle during the summer to help with conditioning. But it is certainly work when you are carrying a pack, rifle, heavier clothing, plus your at altitude.

Crosshairy said:
Thanks for the cool story.

Your welcome glad you thought it was cool. It was certainly cool up there :)
I had a great time and will not forget it any time soon.

Trap55555

trap55555

2-Step Enabled
mike243 said:
not a lurker,just a quite man,listens more than talks :) ,qaulity over qaunity lol ,thanks for sharing,helps others hold onto the dream .

Thanks very much. I enjoy TNDEER, I've been around a while, just don't have the time to visit many of the forums within, wish I could sometimes.

Trap55555

UPSman

2-Step Enabled
Congrats! Since I didn't get to go to Colorado this year and get my Rocky Mtn 'high', posts like this help ease the pain. What caliber Kimber were you toting? 300 WSM?

trap55555

2-Step Enabled
UPSman said:
Congrats! Since I didn't get to go to Colorado this year and get my Rocky Mtn 'high', posts like this help ease the pain. What caliber Kimber were you toting? 300 WSM?

Thanks, Hopefully you can go next year, but I may try to make it feel better again next year :) .
The Kimber is a 8400 in 30-06, with a handload of 165gr Accubond sitting on 58gr IMR4350.

trap55555

earlytime

trap55555 what was the rough cost with everything but the gear?? I'm trying to do a elk hunt in 2013 with some from church. did you take a camper or rent one out there??I was looking at spending but $2500-$3000 with tag and will drive. Looking at about 4-6 guys going any information to help with this would be great. Thanks Mike

trap55555

2-Step Enabled
earlytime said:
trap55555 what was the rough cost with everything but the gear?? I'm trying to do a elk hunt in 2013 with some from church. did you take a camper or rent one out there??I was looking at spending but $2500-$3000 with tag and will drive. Looking at about 4-6 guys going any information to help with this would be great. Thanks Mike

Mike, we did a good job of watching our cost and our totals for license (550), horse (200), food, camper rental, rooms, and fuel was about $1600. That don't include cost for meals we made up and froze before leaving for supper, meals while traveling (mostly fast food), showers, ice, etc.

For a DIY hunt $2500 should cover it pretty good if you go like we did, heck that would even allow you a good time in Cabelas on the way :) Plus I think 6 guys (3 per vehicle) would lessen your cost of the fuel (which was a major component).

But like I mentioned before I had additional cost this year: GPS, a new good sleeping bag, sleeping pad (didn't take), boots, clothes,...

We rented the camper in the Denver area, so the tow (and rental time) with the camper was shorter than if we would have rented here.

Good Luck with your plans, I hope it comes together for you,
Any more questions ?? I'll try to help if I can.

Trap55555

earlytime

trap55555 I see that the horse cost 200 did you rent it for the time or just day or what??? Did you get OTC tags or draw

Thanks Mike

DaveB

NW of Craig and East of Meeker. If you can, try to get between Craig and Steamboat Springs. Lots of BLM land, lots of National Forest. You can get lost, the GPS recommendations are spot on. Pray for spit-freezing cold because it causes all animals to be on the move. Don't scrimp on your clothing or camping budget.

You have to be in great physical shape. At 7500 feet going sideways up a ridge that appears vetical you will appreciate all that work.

I always got Muley tags in addition to Bull elk.

trap55555

2-Step Enabled
earlytime said:
trap55555 I see that the horse cost 200 did you rent it for the time or just day or what??? Did you get OTC tags or draw

Thanks Mike

Mike, The horse rental was $200/day, but that is also the minimum. We didn't have the horses over night but it was still $200, and that included a bale of hay. It was money well spent, as you can pack out the meat in one trip.

We had OTC tags, but I also had a cow tag that I had put in for and got in the draw. But I had to return it for a refund, because we had a change in plans and I could not hunt the GMU (Game Mgmt Unit) that the tag was for.

Latest posts