Muzzleloader hunting in the rain

HuntFish714

Im very green to muzzleloaders, just bought a cva wolf and love it! This weekend will be my first time using it in the rain. I didnt see anything in the owners manual about rain. My question is do I need to do anything while im hunting to protect it other yhan normal oiling? Also do I need to or should I cover the muzzle with a plasic ziploc and rubber band to protect the bullet and pellets from moisture? Thank you

Hardwoodmaterials

Don't laugh but I have used unlubricated condoms on the barrel of mine when its raining. I can carry it with my sling that way and just slide it off when I get ready to shoot. Plus they don't make any noise when you bunch them up like a bag will.

TheLBLman

HuntFish714 said:
Also do I need to or should I cover the muzzle with a plasic ziploc and rubber band to protect the bullet and pellets from moisture?
Many years ago I thought that sounded like a good idea.
But water seeped under the bag (with gun pointed down), collected in the bag, then ran into the barrel first time it was slightly elevated.

Electrical tape with a good seal may be the best option.

WestTn Huntin man

2-Step Enabled
The finger off a rubber glove will work .You can also use cling wrap or saran wrap.Finger cots are perfect if you work around a office.

Jcalder

Hardwoodmaterials said:
Don't laugh but I have used unlubricated condoms on the barrel of mine when its raining. I can carry it with my sling that way and just slide it off when I get ready to shoot. Plus they don't make any noise when you bunch them up like a bag will.

I'd hate to explain to my wife why my muzzleloader needed condoms lol.

KPH

Condoms have been used for years, solders have used them to keep water out of the gun barrels also duel purpose you mite say.

HuntFish714

Thanks yall! One more question, if using say a piece of taoe or condom how would it effect the bullet if you had to make a quick off hand shot/or forget to take it off in the heat of. The moment. I know it may be a a dumb question but im completely clueless. Thx

Latest posts