Muzzleloader Accuracy

Killing time

Thought i would share some info, as i have been muzzleloading for 14 years and had no idea !
There are no set standards in the muzzleloading industry as far as actual bore size. Just because your rifle says .50 cal, doesn't mean it measures .500 - it could be anywhere from .497 to .508. That doesn't seem like much, but it can affect accuracy in a big way.
The problem is bullet/sabot selection. If your bullet/sabot does not properly fit your bore ( too loose or too tight ), your accuracy will suffer. If your like me, i just bought the proper caliber bullet and grain weight that i wanted. And fortunately, ive had pretty good success at the range.
But i often see others talking about their muzzleloader not shooting accurately or consistent. May i make a suggestion- go to Guns and Shooting Online and read some of the dozens of articles on bullets, sabots, powder, etc. There are bullets/sabots made for specific rifle brands of rifle's that are listed there. It might help you get the most out of your rifle with a proper fit and make big improvements with accuracy.
I have a Knight MK-85, and have always put deer down with ease. I have used many different brands of bullets, and while they always preformed in the field, sometimes at the range i was not getting the groups i would have liked. And i didnt know why. But come next year, im going to make some changes according to the recommendations on the site, as far as bullet/sabot choice and powder, and see what happens.
Good luck. I hope i helped someone who is frustrated with their weapon.

ewc

I feel your pain...

40target.jpg

IMAG0047.jpg

ewc

Can I make a suggestion?

Do not point me to another website.

I can't help that you and they don't know how to make a muzzleloader shoot.

Mine shoot and I know why...

Thanks.

Trevor2

ewc said:
Can I make a suggestion?

Thanks.

Seriously??? He wasnt telling you to go there. Just putting his new learned info out there for those who might need it! Aint gotta be a jackass just bc you didnt need his info. Thanks for the info for those who might need it.

Killing time

ewc said:
Can I make a suggestion?

Thanks.

I'll make another suggestion. If you dont like my suggestion, then go back to playing with your barbie dolls.

Howa

I'm struggling with mine also, it's just the way muzzleloaders are, just learn to accept it. Here's my 5 shot group from 100 yards.

DSC02308.jpg

vonb

Killing Time,
I hear what you are saying and have been muzzleloading since 1992. I always lived with the fact that I wasn't hunting with a centerfire and took it for granted. I also didn't like playing with a muzzleloader in the off season b/c I hated cleaning it (still do).

However, I started using a Savage 10ML-II recently and read what others were saying. It had me going back to my Knight MK-85 and playing with it.

Lastly, not everyone is going to install a Pacnor barrel, run sabotless with resized, knurled slugs. For me, it's just a way to get into the woods early an extra week.

Glad you mentioned the site.

Cy

ewc said:
Can I make a suggestion?

Thanks.

There was some purpose behind this other than to say "I can shoot and you losers can't"?

I'm impressed. You're getting almost 3000fps out of your ML. And you can shoot one-hole groups. Any deer you decide to shoot at is in real trouble.

And not only that, you don't hesitate to fire off fast, witty remarks. I have a suggestion for you, too: you aren't required to waste your time reading posts that you don't think will help you. You really don't have to respond to someone that you're not interested in his post...just don't read it!

There...wasn't that helpful?

iowavf

It's always good to have some new information to read, doesn't mean everyone has to follow it. I struggled a little last year with mine after switching some stuff around, but with some information from a few others have it back to where I'm comfortable with the groups again. I don't shoot my ML during the summer anymore, just a month prior to hunting season to either fine tune or just to get use to it again, so extra information is always good to consider.

ewc

Killing time said:
If you dont like my suggestion, then go back to playing with your barbie dolls.

Cute and funny.

You get that comeback all by yourself, or from a website?

You are in over your head with me as far as anything related to muzzleloading.

Keep on. These type threads never get old entertainment-wise: Those that do not know crap, directing others to a website to vindicate their "knowledge", and verifying to EVERYONE that they do not know crap.

Priceless.

You go girl-

:grin:

ewc

Killing time said:
And i didnt know why. But come next year, im going to make some changes according to the recommendations on the site, as far as bullet/sabot choice and powder, and see what happens.

Had to save this gem.

Might as well click your little heels together Dorothy.

:)

Southern Sportsman

Man ewc,
You think if I try real hard, and practice all the time, one day, when I grow up, I'll be as big and bad as you with a muzzleloader? And maybe even be cool enough to brag about on a public hunting forum to make sure everyone knows what a bad ass I am? That sure would be cool. I won't need anyone's advice. Ever. Thats how cool I'll be.

Killing time

EWC, its apparently taken you alot of time and effort to shoot the way you do. Congrats. As for me, with as little as i apparently know and shoot, ive gotten the same tight groups as you with minimal effort. Your a real man. Maybe we can all be like you someday. Grow up. Its obvious you have some insecurity issues. I hope your tight groups make you feel better about yourself. No one cares.

ewc

Southern Sportsman said:
Man ewc,
You think if I try real hard, and practice all the time, one day, when I grow up, I'll be as big and bad as you with a muzzleloader?

No. But I can appreciate your your aspirations...

Latest posts