More Beech trees going down

Football Hunter

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 22, 2007
Messages
25,499
Location
Wilson Co/Perry Co
0320131502_zps82a65c47.jpg
Got done early yesterday,decided to go take some more down before it gets hot.Hoping something better will take it place.Or,let the white oaks take off more.
 

lpo1981

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2012
Messages
710
Location
Dickson, TN
Been working on that myself, most of my beeches aren't that large, if they are I've been leaving the larger and cutting everything else down.. Hoping to get back at it soon myself.
 

Football Hunter

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 22, 2007
Messages
25,499
Location
Wilson Co/Perry Co
lpo1981 said:
Been working on that myself, most of my beeches aren't that large, if they are I've been leaving the larger and cutting everything else down.. Hoping to get back at it soon myself.
I try to cut the biggest ones I can,figure they are the seeders?
 

SALTMAN

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 12, 2001
Messages
2,315
Location
Cadiz Ky
football the great big ones do seed looks like maybe 2-3 years apart but they are gone in a matter of a few days. I'm leaving the big ones for that reason and they are too big to mess with. Cut about 100 or so this week not even dented them but sure hard on the back !
 

BSK

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 11, 1999
Messages
74,655
Location
Nashville, TN
Relentless said:
They provide good cover for a deer stand. Hold their leaves all winter.

That's what burlap is for! ;)

I hate beeches and the way they hold their leaves all winter. I cut everyone down near some of my favorite stand locations. I'm tired of not being able to get a 15 yard shot due to the forest of young beeches.
 

Football Hunter

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 22, 2007
Messages
25,499
Location
Wilson Co/Perry Co
BSK said:
Relentless said:
They provide good cover for a deer stand. Hold their leaves all winter.

That's what burlap is for! ;)

I hate beeches and the way they hold their leaves all winter. I cut everyone down near some of my favorite stand locations. I'm tired of not being able to get a 15 yard shot due to the forest of young beeches.
The way I feel too
 

The_Utility_Dude

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 21, 2001
Messages
2,007
Location
East Tennessee
Not trying to be a smart azz Football but that's a pretty scary looking "barber chair" in the 2nd pic. I'm not a professional but I have cut a lot of firewood in my time. I think you need to cut a better lead before you make your felling cut. Those straight across, single cut leads are fine for smaller trees but dangerous, IMO, for the size trees you are cutting. The "barber chair" tree doesn't appear to have a lead cut in it.

Again, I'm not trying to be a smart azz, I'd just hate to see you get hurt...or even worse.
 

Football Hunter

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 22, 2007
Messages
25,499
Location
Wilson Co/Perry Co
The_Utility_Dude said:
Not trying to be a smart azz Football but that's a pretty scary looking "barber chair" in the 2nd pic. I'm not a professional but I have cut a lot of firewood in my time. I think you need to cut a better lead before you make your felling cut. Those straight across, single cut leads are fine for smaller trees but dangerous, IMO, for the size trees you are cutting. The "barber chair" tree doesn't appear to have a lead cut in it.

Again, I'm not trying to be a smart azz, I'd just hate to see you get hurt...or even worse.
You are correct,but it was leaning that way,really good,figured I was ok with just back cutting it,might think about that.
 

Diehard Hunter

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 1, 2008
Messages
7,380
A question for those of you that cut beech trees to control them. How much stump and root sprouting do you get? Have you ever monitored that? Beech is very fire sensitive, and it seems like fire would be a much better way to control them.
 

BSK

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 11, 1999
Messages
74,655
Location
Nashville, TN
Diehard Hunter said:
Beech is very fire sensitive, and it seems like fire would be a much better way to control them.

Probably true, but oaks are pretty fire sensative too! I simply can't justify risking a large section of oaks just to control beeches which are easily cut down (at least the wrist-sized beeches I'm cutting, which take about 5 seconds apiece with a chainsaw). I kill larger beeches with girdling or hack-and-squirt herbicides.
 

Latest posts

Top