More Beech trees going down

Football Hunter

0320131502_zps82a65c47.jpg
Got done early yesterday,decided to go take some more down before it gets hot.Hoping something better will take it place.Or,let the white oaks take off more.

lpo1981

Been working on that myself, most of my beeches aren't that large, if they are I've been leaving the larger and cutting everything else down.. Hoping to get back at it soon myself.

Football Hunter

lpo1981 said:
Been working on that myself, most of my beeches aren't that large, if they are I've been leaving the larger and cutting everything else down.. Hoping to get back at it soon myself.
I try to cut the biggest ones I can,figure they are the seeders?

SALTMAN

football the great big ones do seed looks like maybe 2-3 years apart but they are gone in a matter of a few days. I'm leaving the big ones for that reason and they are too big to mess with. Cut about 100 or so this week not even dented them but sure hard on the back !

BSK

Relentless said:
They provide good cover for a deer stand. Hold their leaves all winter.

That's what burlap is for! ;)

I hate beeches and the way they hold their leaves all winter. I cut everyone down near some of my favorite stand locations. I'm tired of not being able to get a 15 yard shot due to the forest of young beeches.

Football Hunter

BSK said:
Relentless said:
They provide good cover for a deer stand. Hold their leaves all winter.

That's what burlap is for! ;)

I hate beeches and the way they hold their leaves all winter. I cut everyone down near some of my favorite stand locations. I'm tired of not being able to get a 15 yard shot due to the forest of young beeches.
The way I feel too

The_Utility_Dude

Not trying to be a smart azz Football but that's a pretty scary looking "barber chair" in the 2nd pic. I'm not a professional but I have cut a lot of firewood in my time. I think you need to cut a better lead before you make your felling cut. Those straight across, single cut leads are fine for smaller trees but dangerous, IMO, for the size trees you are cutting. The "barber chair" tree doesn't appear to have a lead cut in it.

Again, I'm not trying to be a smart azz, I'd just hate to see you get hurt...or even worse.

Football Hunter

The_Utility_Dude said:
Not trying to be a smart azz Football but that's a pretty scary looking "barber chair" in the 2nd pic. I'm not a professional but I have cut a lot of firewood in my time. I think you need to cut a better lead before you make your felling cut. Those straight across, single cut leads are fine for smaller trees but dangerous, IMO, for the size trees you are cutting. The "barber chair" tree doesn't appear to have a lead cut in it.

Again, I'm not trying to be a smart azz, I'd just hate to see you get hurt...or even worse.
You are correct,but it was leaning that way,really good,figured I was ok with just back cutting it,might think about that.

Diehard Hunter

A question for those of you that cut beech trees to control them. How much stump and root sprouting do you get? Have you ever monitored that? Beech is very fire sensitive, and it seems like fire would be a much better way to control them.

BSK

Diehard Hunter said:
Beech is very fire sensitive, and it seems like fire would be a much better way to control them.

Probably true, but oaks are pretty fire sensative too! I simply can't justify risking a large section of oaks just to control beeches which are easily cut down (at least the wrist-sized beeches I'm cutting, which take about 5 seconds apiece with a chainsaw). I kill larger beeches with girdling or hack-and-squirt herbicides.

Latest posts