Minerals & after season feeding

Fitchj13

New lease 200ish acres- obtained late - so no real food plots yet. I have 2 trophy rock/deer cain sites 're-armed' from last fall and put up a corn feeder at one of those sites. I have a self-feeder coming that I plan on using for additional mineral supplement at the other mineral lick. What have you tried successfully or not for mineral supplements?

Boll Weevil

I use Champions Choice trace mineral from Tractor Supply. 8 stations on 700ac refreshed once a year with 1/2 of a block. $5 or $6 apiece.

Fitchj13

The feeder I was going to use for minerals holds 200lb. Harder to find bulk bags of stuff now. I got a 40lb bag of 30-06 and a 20lb bag of big j. I'll try and get by co-op and see what they have on hand.

Guess I'll try some combo mixture :)

treefarmer

You may want to try a side by side comparison to see if there is a preference. If you are lucky they will like the cheap brand just as well as the expensive brand. Let us know how it turns out.

bigtex

Fitchj13":62xdckty said:
The feeder I was going to use for minerals holds 200lb. Harder to find bulk bags of stuff now. I got a 40lb bag of 30-06 and a 20lb bag of big j. I'll try and get by co-op and see what they have on hand.

Guess I'll try some combo mixture :)
I've never used a feeder for minerals or salt. Just pour it on the ground. It will leach into the ground and the deer will soon have a nice big hole to pour the next batch into.

Fitchj13

I put trophy rocks and salt blocks on the ground and pour deer Cain over em. Deer here seem to act like its crack. I just wanna try something additional - that's what I he feeder is for. Will probably end up mixing dome antler/protein blend with some sort of granulated deer feed of some kind.

Now I just gotta get me some food plots in this spring.

Vermin93

Re: Minerals & after season feeding

In the summer of 2014 I put down a bag of 30-06 mineral supplement at an established mineral site and the deer abandoned that mineral site. I was not happy.

I've been using Trophy Rock, both whole rock and the granular product, with great results. This year I plan to try the Redmond #4 or #10 mineral salt.

Fitchj13

I got one of those buckeye 3 leg gravity feeders. I will see if I can put some sort of make shift divider in there to compare 3 different ones in lieu of mixing.

SALTMAN

Fitchj13 , you are getting 65 minerals in the Trophyrock. In trying to improve the health and bring he deer through the winter in better shape ( hopefully producing better rack ) they need protein and carbohydrates . We use corn in the feeder and mix in pellets from the coop (monster mix) . Some times also add sunflower seeds in the mix . We do have wheat and big an beastly still available too. We like a variety in our plots to keep them happy and well fed .

Latest posts