mercury outboards

WTM

im really impressed with them, didnt used to be. mine was shut down for over a year in storage and after i serviced it cranked when i bumped the key. sometimes yamahas would have to be turned over a few times after winter storage. maybe its a four stroke vs two stroke deal. i dont know just rambling.

Andy S.

4 stroke versus 2 stroke DEFINITELY makes a difference, especially when it comes to starting and idling. I currently own a 2 stroke Mercury, and while it is dependable, it can be fickle when compared to newer 4 stroke outboards. I have called numerous outboard dealers across the southeast in last few years and Yamaha and Mercury outboards are the top two recommended by far.

bluball

im really impressed with them, didnt used to be. mine was shut down for over a year in storage and after i serviced it cranked when i bumped the key. sometimes yamahas would have to be turned over a few times after winter storage. maybe its a four stroke vs two stroke deal. i dont know just rambling.
Mercury and yamaha 4strokes use to use the same powerhead yrs ago,probally dont anymore.Remember aggrevating the guys at work around 2006-2010 when they would brag about there new yamaha motors.They would say mercury 4strokes were junk🤣.When i show them they had the same power heads they couldnt believe it.Fuel injected is usually the reason for any motor starting quick though🤣

bluball

4 stroke versus 2 stroke DEFINITELY makes a difference, especially when it comes to starting and idling. I currently own a 2 stroke Mercury, and while it is dependable, it can be fickle when compared to newer 4 stroke outboards. I have called numerous outboard dealers across the southeast in last few years and Yamaha and Mercury outboards are the top two recommended by far.
My brand new mercury carb 90 was finicky for yrs,bought it new in 2008.Had everyone look at it because it was so finicky.In 2013 i ordered a complete new fuel pump kit for it and put it on myself.Carried it to staffords marine and got carb adjusted.It starts great now,fish 12 months a yr and it always does great.

JBell

My brand new mercury carb 90 was finicky for yrs,bought it new in 2008.Had everyone look at it because it was so finicky.In 2013 i ordered a complete new fuel pump kit for it and put it on myself.Carried it to staffords marine and got carb adjusted.It starts great now,fish 12 months a yr and it always does great.
I'm gonna need a service done on my 2stroke 150. Is Stafford's the place to go?

Lt.Dan

Has anyone heard of a Mercury 9.9hp (4 stroke) being fuel injected or being modified for fuel injection? Building me a little fishing boat and will be putting a Merc 9.9 on it. I know the motor has electronic spark advance. I will mostly be trolling for Walleye and Striper with this set up. I want to be able to dial down my speed to .7mph to .9mph when needed. Always had trouble trying to get carburated motors (they were bigger horsepower) down that slow. Maybe I won't have that problem with the smaller horsepower motor. Just looking for experience/ advice on the subject.

Atchman2

I have loved every Mercury motor I've owned. I had one that was from the 60's that was stolen by somebody (and the boat). I have a brand new Four Stroke 90 hp on my Tracker boat and it rocks! This is the first Four Stroke I've owned and it is so smooth and quiet.

WTM

i dont know about the yamahas since inhavent owned one since the mid 90's, but these mercury's seem to have a little more plastic parts now than id like.

BigCityBubba

Has anyone heard of a Mercury 9.9hp (4 stroke) being fuel injected or being modified for fuel injection? Building me a little fishing boat and will be putting a Merc 9.9 on it. I know the motor has electronic spark advance. I will mostly be trolling for Walleye and Striper with this set up. I want to be able to dial down my speed to .7mph to .9mph when needed. Always had trouble trying to get carburated motors (they were bigger horsepower) down that slow. Maybe I won't have that problem with the smaller horsepower motor. Just looking for experience/ advice on the subject.
I have no experience with that but I would try it first with what you have. I had a little aluminum boat with a 1965 evinrude 9.5 that I would troll out of and had no issues with it going slow enough. I have no idea what the actual speed was. No need to fix something that isn't broke unless you enjoy that sort of thing.

Lt.Dan

I have no experience with that but I would try it first with what you have. I had a little aluminum boat with a 1965 evinrude 9.5 that I would troll out of and had no issues with it going slow enough. I have no idea what the actual speed was. No need to fix something that isn't broke unless you enjoy that sort of thing.
Thanks for the info. I've never had a small motor other than electric trolling motors. I will try it when I get the motor (only have $500 more to save). I'm sure you're right.

Latest posts