mercury smartcraft or mercmonitor

WTM

thinking of ripping all the guages out of my console and only running 1 guage. i mainly only use the rpm guage any way. trying to make room for a new console plate so i can fit a 10" tablet.

anyone ever use one?

Pilchard

I had one on a 275 Verado years ago. It was great for RPMs, fuel consumption, voltage, etc.... All in one gauge. Only fuel gauge I ever trusted on a boat.

Blew up the turbo on the Verado and traded it towards a 300 Yami.

WTM

ok thanks. looks to me the cleanest solution for the money. trying to simplify my setup. gonna run c-map, navionics and google earth on a 10" tablet. gonna use a quick detach gimbal so i can remove the tablet and be able to connect my gpsmap to share sonar data on the tablet as well. in order to mount the gimbal, ill have to remove all the guages except for one. these tracker consoles pretty much suck for trying to install any dash mounted equipment.

Pilchard

Now that I think of it my throttle on that merc was unlike any I owned before or after. If I remember correctly it was digital and could easily be bumped from neutral into gear with tiny amount of pressure. I wonder if this type of throttle is required for your more advanced/digital gauge.

WTM

Now that I think of it my throttle on that merc was unlike any I owned before or after. If I remember correctly it was digital and could easily be bumped from neutral into gear with tiny amount of pressure. I wonder if this type of throttle is required for your more advanced/digital gauge.
no as far as i can tell from mercury my engine is smartcraft enabled. all is required is to either add it to nmea2k or via straight cable to engine adapter. probably going with the basic level 0 and run it straight cable since itd be only about 300 bucks total versus 700 bucks for level 1 to ad it to my network/share with my chartplotter.

bluball

Think im fixing to add the vessel view mobile,a buddy has it.He has a ram mount he puts his cell phone in while at the console and it shows alot of info.

WTM

Think im fixing to add the vessel view mobile,a buddy has it.He has a ram mount he puts his cell phone in while at the console and it shows alot of info.
looked at that the other day, may go with that since its cheaper and appears easier to install. i thought the bluetooth device plugged into the nmea 2k network and mercury j box like the smartcraft connect but it looks like it plugs into the engine and thats it.

lol, i came out of possum creek last year onto the main lake and it beeped three times and shut down. would have been nice to know what that meant. only thing i figured was the water intake got mud up in it. cranked it back up and ran like hell back to birdsong. ran fine.

BuckWild

looked at that the other day, may go with that since its cheaper and appears easier to install. i thought the bluetooth device plugged into the nmea 2k network and mercury j box like the smartcraft connect but it looks like it plugs into the engine and thats it.

lol, i came out of possum creek last year onto the main lake and it beeped three times and shut down. would have been nice to know what that meant. only thing i figured was the water intake got mud up in it. cranked it back up and ran like hell back to birdsong. ran fine.
That's what I'm gonna do on my fishing boat. By far the cheapest route

WTM

That's what I'm gonna do on my fishing boat. By far the cheapest route
yeah if that smart connect module wasnt 550 bucks id connect it my my garmin. i wonder why a module that does basically the same thing is 300 bucks more than the mobile connect version?

anyway, those guages on console, can i just disconnect those leads and cap/tape the connectors when i remove them? or reckon there is supposed to be some type of dummy load resistor connected between them?

BuckWild

yeah if that smart connect module wasnt 550 bucks id connect it my my garmin. i wonder why a module that does basically the same thing is 300 bucks more than the mobile connect version?

anyway, those guages on console, can i just disconnect those leads and cap/tape the connectors when i remove them? or reckon there is supposed to be some type of dummy load resistor connected between them?
You can just disconnect them. Taping the connectors isn't necessary, but its something I would probably do.