Mass and age

BSK

Odd question, but has anyone ever seen a situation where a younger buck displayed mass that you would only expect to see on a very old buck?

I ask because I found a buck on a client's camera census that has the classic body conformation of a 3 1/2 year-old, but he's got antlers with so much mass - not only beams but all the way out the points - that you would swear he's a Wisconsin buck. I refuse to believe a 3 1/2 year-old buck could have that much mass. This buck is an 8-point with vertical tines as thick as your wrist.

tree_ghost

Odd question, but has anyone ever seen a situation where a younger buck displayed mass that you would only expect to see on a very old buck?

I ask because I found a buck on a client's camera census that has the classic body conformation of a 3 1/2 year-old, but he's got antlers with so much mass - not only beams but all the way out the points - that you would swear he's a Wisconsin buck. I refuse to believe a 3 1/2 year-old buck could have that much mass. This buck is an 8-point with vertical tines as thick as your wrist.
No I haven't. I've seen incredible beam and tine length but never mass. In fact I'd say that's the one thing that most of our bucks here are missing. Even the very mature ones. They just aren't as massive as northern deer…

BSK

Aren't YOU the expert around here? That's the sort of stuff we ask you, not the other way around. :)
My "expertise" says this buck is much older than his body conformation indicates (and I've seen that situation before), but just wondering if anyone has ever seen a younger buck with incredible mass. I have not.

Client asked if I wanted that buck placed under protection as a young up and comer. I told him absolutely not. I want to see that buck's jawbone!

tree_ghost

My "expertise" says this buck is much older than his body conformation indicates (and I've seen that situation before), but just wondering if anyone has ever seen a younger buck with incredible mass. I have not.

Client asked if I wanted that buck placed under protection as a young up and comer. I told him absolutely not. I want to see that buck's jawbone!
I love that approach! Speculation is for the birds…let's get down to some facts!

backyardtndeer

We don't generally see great mass here at all, even in older bucks, which really doesn't make any sense at all since we have pretty decent soil and abundance of ag crops. Maybe one of those watered down traits that aren't supposed to be displayed in the Tennessee deer population, either that or your trail cam pictured deer is just older than you think.

deerhunter10

No we haven't ever noticed it. And we have had some super star 3 year olds. We really don't see any kind of great mass til 5.5. We have a palmated gene on one of our farms to and still don't see it til they get older.

Ski

I have not. As I understand it and has been my experience, heavy mass happens after maturity is reached and the body no longer requires nutrition for growth, so excess nutrients can be spent on the antlers.

Maybe he's got a toothache or digestive issue causing weight loss? Or maybe he just looks young. Or perhaps it's an antlered doe. My guess is just a small, young looking but mature deer.

Dumbluck

I have seen it a couple of times. I even had a young 2 year old with tremendous mass that probably had 4.5 bases but unfortunately I believe he got shot. Another deer that comes to mind was a buck my dad killed years ago that carried his mass all the way out to the tips of his beams but was only maybe 3. He was an odd one and I've never seen another one like him since and that was probably 25 years ago.

rem270

I killed this buck in 2011. I believe he was only 3.5. The mass says different but I think he was a 3.5 year old.

Yes, I took terrible pics back then. Lol.
20210305_195605.jpg

20210305_195637.jpg

20210305_194629.jpg

20210305_194726.jpg

Last edited:

fairchaser

I've always believed that mass doesn't lie when it comes to maturity. But, so called experts will say that it's a poor indicator of age and more an indicator of nutrition. I think you have deer that don't fit the curve. Some older bucks will have thin horns and some younger bucks will have heavy mass. When it comes to aging, all factors must be considered but body confirmation means more than antler mass.

Last edited:

JCDEERMAN

This has been my experience. Several times I've seen very old deer have all the characteristics of 3.5's. Appeared to be going downhill. Never had a 3.5 with that much mass - 4.5, quite a bit

Latest posts