Manure and Manure

Nimrod777

Before we gave up chickens last fall, I bagged up all the coop waste and straw. It's been sitting for almost a year. Before I apply it to the garden spot, does it need to be composted with carbon materials, or will sitting that length of time do the trick? I plan to put it out on the garden after the season ends so it can overwinter.

And I see quite a few farms locally with a horse manure mound, an ongoing location that has been in place for years. If I get a trailer load of that, I don't really need to compost it before putting it on the garden spot, correct? Although I know if it is fresh, it will be loaded with weed seeds.

DaveB

Yep, is supposed to be pretty good stuff.

I think the suggestion is you spread the manure as thick as you want and then turn the soil until the manure and soil are thoroughly mixed.

I will be surprised if they give the manure away. I remember pulling up to a dairy farm in southern california and the farmer had a huge blade pushing around dirt/manure/who knows what and placing it in an open top 18-wheeler.

I thought he'd just dump a load in my truck but instead he politely threw me off his farm. He told me he sells milk, old cows, young calfs, and manure. I said Okay, and turned to go and he muttered at me he'd sell the Moo if he could.

Right about then I remembered every word my Dad had ever said about farming being a tough business to be in.

Nimrod777

The horse manure I refer to is on small hobby farms that have 3 or 4 horses, and a manure pile that has been in place for years. I don't believe they are moving it to buyers, but if I go in, I'll keep in mind that what I see as doing them a favor may be received as totally opposite.

WTM

any manure that has been sitting for a year or more is pretty much compost. i touched on this in my reply to you on the other thread, only add manure compost only when the garden needs it and then only up to 1-3 inches of balanced compost(manure and plant matter). take a mixed sample to the co-op and have them test it. this will tell you what you need.

the reason being if you add too much compost you can have a phosphorus buildup and thats a bad thing. in a vegetable garden its hard to over add compost but it can happen if you keep adding compost when the soil doesnt need it. ive found that with green cover crops i only add compost every few years and that is primarily for soil structure purposes. this is my third year on my particular garden spot and the only fertilizer that i added was a half pound per row of 34-0-0 for my sweet corn, fish emulsion and a little tomato tone for the rest.

rabbit manure is a different story. its lighter on nutrients and doesnt need to be composted. i wish i had a 100 rabbits just for the pellets.

GMB54

Find rabbit manure. Its nearly impossible to burn your plants with it and its an excellent fertilizer. Animal shelters probably would be thrilled you hauled it away for them.

Latest posts