Making Dragging Weights

Atchman2

I watched a few DIY videos on Youtube since I had lost a couple of my dragging weights. I didn't hardly spend hardly any money and now I have enough dragging weights to probably last the rest of my life. I can easily afford do buy stuff, but I love tinkering around with fishing gear.

I ordered some blank lures to make Demon Dragons with as well. My friend Craig has a small airbrush and I'm going to mess around painting them. Or I may just use them clear since I'm not overly convinced that the lure part does anything. I may do a fish off to see which one catches more fish, my commercial painted ones or the clear ones. I'm pretty much guessing it won't matter as the bait seems to be the biggest factor in catching catfish.

Smo

Drift fishing?

C253B0EB-E009-4267-A447-D43C70C6420E.jpeg

Atchman2

I never knew such a thing rxisted to a fished with scenic river last fall. The guide had had a load of trinkets id never see before. Still have no idea what "planing board" does
A "Planar board" is basically a directional float. It carries your line further away from the boat so you can troll or drag a wider swathe. When you hook the board to your line, it usually carries it off to one side.

Some planar boards disconnect when you get a bit. That was what I used to have when I fished for Stripers and then you had to go back and find them. The newer ones stay on your line like a float.

They also help keep your lines while trolling from tangling as easily.

For catfishing when we are "dragging" baits for catfish, many anglers use the planar boards to drag a wider area and also to keep their lines from tangling.

Attachments

• what-is-a-planer-board.jpg
    what-is-a-planer-board.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 17

redblood

A "Planar board" is basically a directional float. It carries your line further away from the boat so you can troll or drag a wider swathe. When you hook the board to your line, it usually carries it off to one side.

Some planar boards disconnect when you get a bit. That was what I used to have when I fished for Stripers and then you had to go back and find them. The newer ones stay on your line like a float.

For catfishing when we are "dragging" baits for catfish, many anglers use the planar boards to drag a wider area and also to keep their lines from tangling.

Makes sense. He also made weights that looked like a foot long cayenned pepper. They were in heat shrink it appeared

redblood

Does livescope offer any benefit for catfishing?

Atchman2

I would say it would, you can see fish piled up in deep holes on the bottom and that would normally be catfish.
A regular depth finder could see them too in that instance. I don't have a Livescope, but I have a SideVu. I just suck at using the SideVu part. The thing I like the most is the ability to map the bottom. That is nice verification if the bottom has changed over time.

Where I like the SideVu is locating bait. You can tell more or less where the bait is in relation to the boat with it. It is great for White Bass fishing. It is just like everything else, we have all of these gadgets and hardly ever take the time to learn how to use them. Same thing with my trolling motor.