Makeover

rukiddin

First centerfire I ever bought brand new was a Rem 700 Classic in 25/06. From running dogs in eastern NC to still hunting to depredation shooting in beanfields all summer, the gun put in a lot of work. I would try to estimate how deer the gun killed but most wouldn't believe it. It was always a great shooter. I even sold it years ago to some guys who were bigger killers than I was and luckily, I had the opportunity to buy it back about 10 years ago. It was looking rough. Wood beat all to heck, a lot of bluing simply worn off. The rifle was/is a tool, and that all it was. I recently decided the old girl needed a makeover and time for her to pull safe queen duties. I had the barrel black nitrided, the rest was cerakoted, bought a new stock for it and local gunsmith (Shultz) did the bedding/floating or whatever you call it. I could not be happier with how the old girl turned out!!!!
4C72630D-B9AA-46EF-A161-B8E7DABEE255.jpeg
6ED156A7-CAFB-4AE0-9176-B57EA5244182.jpeg

DaveB

A great caliber and sweet looking rile.

I want to repeat an interesting day at the range. My twin boys and I were at MSSA and a much older fellow arrived with one rifle and a tackle box. He got his target ready and one of my boys jumped up and volunteered to take the target downrange. The old guy said sure and off my son went lickety split down the sidewalk and then aligned the target with the shooter's bench and then sprinted back to the line.

Range went hot and the old guy uncased his rifle-it was a Ruger #1 and when Son asked what caliber the reply was Twenfiveoughtsix just like that all one word. Old guy laid the rifle across the tackle box, got a picture, squeezed one off. I pivoted our spotting scope and he was 2 inches high at 100.

Old guy looked over and said I see two inches high dead center-you see that?" I replied yep.

I swear he put everything away, son called range cold and went for the target. Old guy said thanks and away he went.

Wanted a twenfiveoughtsix ever since.

Willysman

As the famous deer tracker Larry Benoit once said when asked the caliber of his rifle. He replied Thirty 0 six.

I want to repeat an interesting day at the range. My twin boys and I were at MSSA and a much older fellow arrived with one rifle and a tackle box. He got his target ready and one of my boys jumped up and volunteered to take the target downrange. The old guy said sure and off my son went lickety split down the sidewalk and then aligned the target with the shooter's bench and then sprinted back to the line.

Range went hot and the old guy uncased his rifle-it was a Ruger #1 and when Son asked what caliber the reply was Twenfiveoughtsix just like that all one word. Old guy laid the rifle across the tackle box, got a picture, squeezed one off. I pivoted our spotting scope and he was 2 inches high at 100.

Old guy looked over and said I see two inches high dead center-you see that?" I replied yep.

I swear he put everything away, son called range cold and went for the target. Old guy said thanks and away he went.

rukiddin

I can remember my cousin having a safari grade Browning Bar in 25-06. I can remember just staring at it thinking how beautiful it was. Many a whitetail died at a dead run going across a cutover in eastern NC with a pack of deer hounds "skint back" on it with that 25/06 BAR.

jaybird62

Good looking rifle. Your Eastern North Carolina deer dogin' got my interest. Where did you hunt? I cut my teeth on chasing deer with dogs in Sampson and Bladen counties.

rukiddin

Good looking rifle. Your Eastern North Carolina deer dogin' got my interest. Where did you hunt? I cut my teeth on chasing deer with dogs in Sampson and Bladen counties.
Warren and Northampton where I guess you say I "cut my teeth" but had connections in Hyde county and ran there too. Had a lot of fun. That Hyde county tract was 10k+ Continuous acres. Deer were like rats running everywhere. That would've been mid to late 90's. Now I hear there ain't near the numbers like used to be. Bears were just starting to "boom" down there and not long after, the timber companies made it legal to bear hunt with dogs so had a lot more money got involved. I guess the last time I ran dogs would've been early 2000's time frame.

jaybird62

Warren and Northampton where I guess you say I "cut my teeth" but had connections in Hyde county and ran there too. Had a lot of fun. That Hyde county tract was 10k+ Continuous acres. Deer were like rats running everywhere. That would've been mid to late 90's. Now I hear there ain't near the numbers like used to be. Bears were just starting to "boom" down there and not long after, the timber companies made it legal to bear hunt with dogs so had a lot more money got involved. I guess the last time I ran dogs would've been early 2000's time frame.
I hunted Hyde County… December 25 to January 1, 1978. Had a ball. I hunted Puney Nifong's place in Swan Quarter.

Latest posts