Looking for a Remington 7400 magazine

Bucket

Posting this in the general forum so more eyeballs will see it, but a coworker is looking for a magazine for a Remington 7400 in 30-06. Let me know if any of you have one you'd part with. Thanks.

reloadxx

2-Step Enabled
After looking online those are somewhat common. I remember as a 14 year old having a plastic 10 rounder for a 740, basically same magazine and thinking how cool I was lol.
I remember killing my first deer with one shot every round out of that 10 rd mag at that 8pt I killedit but dang that was fun times.

GRIT

I think that magazine is for a 760 or 7600 pump action .Does not have the release on the lower side. Just my 2 cents don't won't to make anyone mad.

Last edited:

GRIT

Yes that's the one he needs for the 7400 automatic, I did not mean to interfere with anything, Just trying to help that release is easy to over look.

Last edited:

BuckWild

mags for 742,760, 7400, 7600 are all interchangeable.
The early 742 mags had a bolt release lever on the bottom. That is what the button is on that mag.
After the last shot, the bolt would remain open. That button released the bolt. Turned out to be a PITA and the button was difficult to push.

The 7400 can use either of those mags but I will warn you that a lot of the mags, even the factory ones, may need a little tuning or tweeking to operate properly. Remington didn't actually produce any of the magazines, all were produced by independent machine shops over the years and will vary somewhat slightly.

The entire 740,742,7400 model line are really considered to be a low round count hunting rifle. They eventually self destruct if fired in excess, especially the long action cartridges.

Keep them clean and don't take them to the range, and they will perform perfectly for years

tacoma2002

2-Step Enabled
I've got a 20 year old scar on my right pointer finger from using a 7600 magazine in a 7400.

The correct way to remove the mag with the bolt locked back is to hold back on the bolt with the butt if the stock firmly on your thigh. Use your free hand to release the magazine.

DO NOT attempt hold the bolt back and use your finger to depress the magazine spring to release the bolt.

Clunky design or not, I prefer the 740 series magazines in the 740 series guns for the bolt release. Primarily because of my vivid recollection of this event lol!

Latest posts