Long Range Scope help.

DMAG

I have been looking at getting my first 4x-18x ish powered scope. I will use this scope to hunt with and for fun. Everybody I know says NightForce optics, but at 1600 to 2 grand, I just don't think I could swing it. Are there any other scopes that can really hang with them? If they are truly worth that kind of money, I will just keep saving, but if there are other brands that are real close for 1/2 the money, I would probably go that route. Im not trying to go cheap, just the most scope for the money. If you guys suggest night force, then keep saving is what Il do. Thanks for your help!!!

rdl65

I have 2 Zeiss Conquest scopes, but I upgraded from Zeiss to Nightforce on my .243 I had built . I had wanted one for years, so I saved up, sold the Zeiss and finally took the plunge.

Zeiss is an excellent scope but it is not a Nightforce. I have never regretted buying the Nightforce.

Deer Assassin

rdl65 said:
I have 2 Zeiss Conquest scopes, but I upgraded from Zeiss to Nightforce on my .243 I had built . I had wanted one for years, so I saved up, sold the Zeiss and finally took the plunge.

Zeiss is an excellent scope but it is not a Nightforce. I have never regretted buying the Nightforce.

oh i agree

megalomaniac

hmm.

I have 2 Nightforces...

an 8-32x56 NSX... paid $1200 for it used. Never regretted it.

another 3-15x56 NSX... paid $500 for it used. Still loving that deal!

Keep an eye out on snipershide for used ones... they are indestructible. No reason to buy new. I would stay away from the 12-42x models... they really aren't usable past 30x or so unless you have perfect ambient light.

DMAG

I have converted to Zeiss over the past few years, but never dropped this kind of cash on a scope. Man you can drop some cash on scopes. I knew you could just never thought I would be in that boat. Thanks megalomaniac for the tip Il check em out!

Stumpy

Vortex viper PST 6-24x50 FFP msrp of $999
Matching reticle and turrets
Illuminated reticle
Good glass
Tracks amazingly
Awesome warranty! If you ever needed it. Basically if there is ever anything functionally wrong with the scope they take care of it, quickly, no questions asked.

I have used them but don't own one yet. Several friends of mine have several of the pst's and they are very very pleased with them. My friends I'm referring to are also zeiss, NF, and swaro owners.
All of them agree that they are not quite a NF but as far as tracking and features that is what they compare them too. And they are 600-800 less than the NF.

JimFromTN

I have the Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 SFP. Great scope. Another one to consider would be Sightron SIII 6-24x50. The Sightron SIII is killer glass.

infoman jr.

pseshooter300 said:
Does anyone on here have any swfa scopes? These scopes are getting very popular fast with long range shooting.
I have the 10x42 with side focus on my .308 bolt gun. It's a fine scope with a great reticle.

DMAG

Vortex warranty is hard to beat. Those SWFA scopes have gotten very good reviews online. I don't know anybody locally that has an SWFA scope.