Locust tree?

RKenney

There are several big locust trees where I hunt. Are the beans really worth these trees being there, or should they be cut down or killed to let in more sun light?

I'm thinking leave them be, because they produce huge bean pods almost every year. I know more sunlight will produce many other nutritious plants, but the deer seem to love those locust beans.

BSK

The problem with locusts is how fast they spread via their roots. However, deer do love those bean pods, and will eat them into the early winter months.

Buckhunter72

We have some big locust trees, that I have wondered the same thing.

But, when the acorns are gone and these beens get sweet the deer love them.

I think it is one of the best food sources to hunt from mid December till the end of season. I set up cameras on them last year at that time and got hundreds of pictures, nice bucks included.

I will be hunting around them late in the season.

timberjack86

Are they honey locust or black locust. Honey locust have the pods deer love so much. They are coverd in spines and are a dark color. Black locust has tanish brown bark and grows straight and tall. No thorns and nothing for the deer to eat.

RKenney

I am going to go with "honey locust", based on what you wrote timberjack86. I always thought a locust tree..was a locust tree. I killed a good buck in a thicket a few years ago, and he was loaded with locust beans and honeysuckle.

Fat deer too.

Crosshairy

President's Island is covered with those (and very few oaks). That was the strangest thing about that place when i was there - how little "traditional" browse there was.

I spoke to several wardens on the check-in station for the antlerless hunts that said the deer eat them a lot.

I always wondered whether that was a second-rate food they were forced to eat, or if they would go after them preferentially. I guess they turn into a first-rate food for parts of the year, based on comments above.

There are none where I hunt, but I wish there were a few around. The way I see it, they offer a diverse type of food source. You never know when something weird will happen and other food sources might be hit hard and have poor mast crops. Those trees provide you with a different type of food that provides variety, and a chance that you'll find them useful later.

Latest posts