Black locust sprouts

JAD

Last year, I got great advice on here about killing locust by basal bark spraying triclopyr with diesel (thanks Boll Weevil). It killed all the trees I sprayed, but now there's dozens of knee to waist high sprouts coming up around the dead trees. Is there anything I can foliar spray now to control them? I was thinking maybe a hot mix of glyphosate at 5-6 oz per gallon of water. I'll go back this winter and basal spray the bigger ones I missed last time, but there's just too many tiny ones that need to be killed. Basal bark spraying all those tiny stems would be a real chore. Thanks.

rifle02

When I was a kid me and my dad built a tractor shed for his new John Deere. He cut posts and put them in the ground a I poured quick Crete around them. They sprouted the next spring.
In March of 22 I cut some 8 inch black locust at about 9 ft long to use for gate posts. Didn't do it. Gates were built with purchased treated posts. So this spring I use those cut Locust posts to go beside a gravel driveway to keep the gravel in place. When I was weed eating I noticed one of them sprouting. They've been cut for a year good grief.

BSK

When I was a kid me and my dad built a tractor shed for his new John Deere. He cut posts and put them in the ground a I poured quick Crete around them. They sprouted the next spring.
In March of 22 I cut some 8 inch black locust at about 9 ft long to use for gate posts. Didn't do it. Gates were built with purchased treated posts. So this spring I use those cut Locust posts to go beside a gravel driveway to keep the gravel in place. When I was weed eating I noticed one of them sprouting. They've been cut for a year good grief.

I've never heard stories like these. Truly amazing!

TNTreeman

Osage orange ( bodock) is another amazing tree. Shallow root system so they fall over uprooted and keep right on growing. I had a huge stump cut that sat on the bare ground for about 5 yrs through rain, sleet, snow and never rotted. It was hard as a rock .

Latest posts