loading deer on fourwheeler

GreyGoose

got any tricks?i am a stout fellow but last couple bucks were bigger than average for me and bout had a heart attack trying to load on to racks.ass and elbows just wasn't getting it done.had to drag behind fourwheeler up inclines,very dangerous and one heck of an experience.

stik

greygoose said:
got any tricks?i am a stout fellow but last couple bucks were bigger than average for me and bout had a heart attack trying to load on to racks.ass and elbows just wasn't getting it done.had to drag behind fourwheeler up inclines,very dangerous and one heck of an experience.

it is safer to drag it up inclines than have it on the back rack.

deerhunter10

We usually drag them. We have step ridges and it's not safe to have it on the four wheeler with you. But i ride four wheelers all the time so i know pretty much what they will and won't do. But i agree with stik it's safer to drag them.

TNGunhunter

You can buy a cheap gambrel and pulley at wallyworld for $15...get it in the air and drive under it. That's what I plan on doing if I get a heavy one...definitely be careful on the inclines...also saw some deer carts that hook up to the back of your atv...pull it like a little trailer...hope this helps.

stik

TNGunhunter said:
You can buy a cheap gambrel and pulley at wallyworld for $15...get it in the air and drive under it. That's what I plan on doing if I get a heavy one...definitely be careful on the inclines...also saw some deer carts that hook up to the back of your atv...pull it like a little trailer...hope this helps.

interested in this cart. do you remember where you saw it?

Rackseeker

I haul all my deer on the front rack. Steers alittle different but works great. I pull the rack up to the front rack, then I stand on the front rack and pull the deer up, as the deer comes up on the rack I step off the atv.

005-6.jpg

WestTn Huntin man

2-Step Enabled
TNGunhunter said:
Pull it up tie it off and drive under is the most common way I've seen it done.

JA1234

just a hair or two north of the [censored] hole
I do like gravey. And rackseeker for the most part...Grab horns drag deer beside four wheeler, step up on floorboards then rear rack pulling deer as I go. Then as I slide the deer up the rear fender I step off the rear rack and pull deer right on rear rack..I don't have inclines that will cause problems though. If I did I'd get a wagon or just drag him out.

danny1975

If I have a tree close . I take a ratchet strap and go through a snatch block . Just run my winch cable through the other end of the snatch block and ratchet around a tree. Then I carry a strap to go around the deer neck and lift it onto the front racks of the 4 wheeler .

BlackBelt

Man its tough to pick one up so i usually drag the deer to a whatever small ditch i can find, or the largest diameter fallen tree I can find. I run the front wheels down into the ditch and drive the front rack up against the dirt bank on the opposite side (which is where i've dragged the deer). Then i just roll/pull the deer onto the front rack and tie it down.
If I cant find a small ditch i pull the deer over to the largest diameter fallen log i can find and pull the deer up onto the top of the log with the legs on one side. Then i drive the atv up to the other side of the log and its much easier to pull the deer up onto the rack.
If theres no ditch or log to use I do it the old fashioned way. After field dressing roll the deer onto its back. I then stick my right arm inside the carcass up to my elbow, and use my left arm to wrap around the deers neck. Then, using a motion similar to rocking a baby in my arms i swing the deer hard and upward in an arc swing and plop him onto the front rack.
I also have just tied the handle of a regular deer cart to the back rack of the atv and pulled the deer out that way. The key to doing that is to not go too fast. Typical deer carts arent designed to move at 15 mph and the axles build up a lot of heat at that speed. I try to pull the cart out at no more than 5-6 mph.

gil1

Rackseeker said:
I haul all my deer on the front rack. Steers alittle different but works great. I pull the rack up to the front rack, then I stand on the front rack and pull the deer up, as the deer comes up on the rack I step off the atv.

That is exactly what I do. First of all, if you go up a hill with a deer on your rear rack, you will tumble backwards.

You can really get better leverage by standing on that front rack, leaning over, and using your leg strength to pull that buck up on your front rack. it sounds impossible, but it is the easiest way.