lmb study

WTM

this dude does a pretty good breakdown of todd driscolls study on toledo bend. ken smith did a series on this that talked about the results. it would have been better if they set up monitor stations to capture daily movement data.

anyhoo, pick up some of the info on fishing flats and you might just do pretty well catching bigs on ky lake.

TRIGGER

Very interesting. My biggest bass came from an area adjacent to rip rap but was a flat. We were fishing the rip rap when I noticed some brush every once in a while on 2D under the boat. I made a cast in front of the boat (12' of water) instead of towards the rip rap and caught one that was 10 lbs. The first year I took fishing seriously I didn't catch a whole lot of fish but 6+ lbers were almost common on a lot of trips. That's before I "learned" how to fish and was fishing off the wall stuff because I didn't know the "rules" of fishing. I have tried some of that stuff since but haven't had much success but I haven't spent a lot of time doing it either.

megalomaniac

Absolutely TORE the bass up on KY lake back in the 90s the year after they killed all the mill foil in one of the feeder creek bays. Before that, everyone fished the millfoil for big bass, but everyone thought the bass left after it was sprayed. Well most of the bass did. But the fatties were still there hugging tight to stumps and logs washed in and laying on the flats.

No fancy sonar, just ripping a crankbait blind casting the flats till you hit structure, pause the crankbait, then set the hook. 4lb plus bass on nearly every stump. And this was on 2 to 3 ft water in the dead of summer. After 20 or so trips, I learned where most of the submerged stumps were and could find them on the next trip in 3 or 4 casts.

By the end of summer, I was routinely catching 10 bass over 4lbs every trip, with 2 or 3 over 5lbs. Plus one trip caught my PB TN bass at 8.6lbs.

Just mind blowing those big bass were on flats with no depth change for hundreds of yards in the dead of summer in skinny water.

WTM

there was still quite a bit of grass until about 2010 until the floods scoured most of it out. there are still some good patches left in the pockets.

an lmb comfortable water temp is 75 to almost 90 degrees as long as there is DO they can live pretty comfortably in that shallow water in the middle of summer. im thinking it may be a trait bred into them as to whether they prefer the more shallower stuff or deeper along the ledges. this may be why youll usually see larger schools the further north than the smaller schools you typically see on the mid and southern end.

i think a prime example would be the tournament 4 or 5 years ago where jason lambert found a big school of big fish off that deeper point in pigsah bay while scott martin went 60 miles south and caught most of his fish off a huge flat thats no more than 6-7 feet deep at summer pool.

TheLBLman

Just mind blowing those big bass were on flats with no depth change for hundreds of yards in the dead of summer in skinny water.
You're giving away one of my lifelong "secrets"!

What's more, they can be caught on top water lures!
So much more fun, and so "simple", compared to how most anglers "bass" fish today.

I've caught a ton of bass over 5 lbs in what Ruger would call a "gar hole".

TNReb

This caught my attention. The average catch rate... on the supposed best bass fishing lake in the country.. was 1-1.5 bass per hour per person.

Too many people think you should go out and catch them every 15 minutes. It rarely works like that. I have a buddy who jokes "you've never took me fishing". He fishes his parents farm pond and has no problem catching them. I don't invite him because I know he's going to be disappointed when we he discovers what fishing in a lake is really like.

Attachments

• tb.jpg
    tb.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 19

NumberOne

This caught my attention. The average catch rate... on the supposed best bass fishing lake in the country.. was 1-1.5 bass per hour per person.

Too many people think you should go out and catch them every 15 minutes. It rarely works like that. I have a buddy who jokes "you've never took me fishing". He fishes his parents farm pond and has no problem catching them. I don't invite him because I know he's going to be disappointed when we he discovers what fishing in a lake is really like.
If i could average a bass per hour on KY lake, Id win a lot of money haha

Latest posts