Livescope/Conservation question

Spurhunter

The lakes I fish in MS are being hammered by Livescopers and guides 7 days a week. I know guys that are catching their limit 4 or 5 days a week. Guides are catching boat limits everyday. Livescope is just that deadly. What will states do to protect the resource? Most crappie fishermen aren't like bass fishermen. They will NOT throw back a legal keeper. I'm concerned about populations in the future.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Size and creel limits may eventually have to be adjusted.
Hard to believe technology has advanced that far.
I will say, for crappie, it is absolutely that deadly.

I'm not convinced it will cause that much population change though.
I personally know guys that have fished KY lake for 30 years and I have personally seen a group of 5 or 6 of them catch, and keep, 10-15 limits per day for a week when they all got together.
I have been on a few trips with them but the bite was never that good when I was with them.
One guy used to sell quart bags of crappie filets for $5.
Sold catfish like freakin crazy too.
Far as I know he still does it.

That was long before livescope.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Here ya go spur

3CC47D20-8D99-4D6D-922E-57E99395FFE3.png

JBell

I know when we go to Mississippi during pre spawn, our guide asks us to release anything over 2.25. Unless you're gonna mount it.

WTM

maybe but i doubt it not until everybody and their mommas have one on their boat. the wildlife agencies that actually publish their creel and trapnet data hasnt really seen an increase in harvest data.

crappie only live for 5 years and some folks are actually doing more harm than good by keeping smaller crappie. they are basically removing future fish because those larger specimens will actually be dead the next season by natural mortality. its right the opposite for other panfish like bluegill.

then you have to think about about a fisherman's skill and whether they know enough about how fish move from spot to spot at any given time, why they bite when they do and what can you do to make them bite. this takes years of time on the water and observing what goes on and remembering for a later time. the tech can only help so much.

ill give one example, a guy is fishing a brush pile using livescope, seeing crappie but not catching them. another guy pulls up and asks if he can fish the other side of the pile about 75 feet away. he says sure they aint biting anyway. that guy starts way laying them one after the other. the other guy asks what size jig he is using and its the same but the other guy knew because of a small current that those fish always bite on that particular side of the pile. true story.

i imagine on the next crappie down cycle on ky lake and we will be hearing about it. but hey, the commission always passes a "feel good" policy.

rsimms

The lakes I fish in MS are being hammered by Livescopers and guides 7 days a week. I know guys that are catching their limit 4 or 5 days a week. Guides are catching boat limits everyday. Livescope is just that deadly. What will states do to protect the resource? Most crappie fishermen aren't like bass fishermen. They will NOT throw back a legal keeper. I'm concerned about populations in the future.
Here are two reports I've published in CrappieNOW Magazine of two states that have conducted specific research regarding potential impacts to success rates due to Live Imaging Sonar (LIS). So far their results are not revealing the dramatic anecdotal reports we often see or hear.

scn

"MANY" years ago, the top fisheries biologist school in the country was probably Auburn University. At the time, we were all taught, from Auburn research, that sport fishing had little if any impact on any sportfish population.

It didn't take too many years for that thought process to go by the wayside.

Letting folks do what they want to means mega $$$$$ to wildlife agencies. If I had to make a guess, there won't be any adjustment to this new technology until it is almost past the point of no return. We have seen this agency/commission level thought process throughout the country with the decline in turkeys.

The new tech stuff wasn't a big deal for a while because it was super expensive, and not many folks were using it. Once it becomes the norm rather than the exception, you WILL see fish populations go down the toilet. All of you in here, including the ones now using that tech, know that the increased pressure is not sustainable.

I guess enjoy it while you can??

bluball

I blame Bluball!! 🤣🤣
He post way to many coolers with limitz!
🤣🤣🤣cant blame me anymore,all i do is work🤣🤣🤣i have had my boat back 2 weeks now and havent touched it,still have a few mods i want to do.This weekend i will be working at performance fishing electronics as usual instead of messing with my boat or fishing🤣🤣🤣

bluball

maybe but i doubt it not until everybody and their mommas have one on their boat. the wildlife agencies that actually publish their creel and trapnet data hasnt really seen an increase in harvest data.

crappie only live for 5 years and some folks are actually doing more harm than good by keeping smaller crappie. they are basically removing future fish because those larger specimens will actually be dead the next season by natural mortality. its right the opposite for other panfish like bluegill.

then you have to think about about a fisherman's skill and whether they know enough about how fish move from spot to spot at any given time, why they bite when they do and what can you do to make them bite. this takes years of time on the water and observing what goes on and remembering for a later time. the tech can only help so much.

ill give one example, a guy is fishing a brush pile using livescope, seeing crappie but not catching them. another guy pulls up and asks if he can fish the other side of the pile about 75 feet away. he says sure they aint biting anyway. that guy starts way laying them one after the other. the other guy asks what size jig he is using and its the same but the other guy knew because of a small current that those fish always bite on that particular side of the pile. true story.

i imagine on the next crappie down cycle on ky lake and we will be hearing about it. but hey, the commission always passes a "feel good" policy.
I think everybody and there mommas are getting it.You would be surprised if you saw how many are selling locally and people that stop by asking questions about livescope that they have bought somewhere else.Also lots of bass guys wanting to convert to crappie fishing its unreal.

Spurhunter

I think everybody and there mommas are getting it.You would be surprised if you saw how many are selling locally and people that stop by asking questions about livescope that they have bought somewhere else.Also lots of bass guys wanting to convert to crappie fishing its unreal.
What's your opinion on Livescope vs. Livescope Plus?

bluball

Can see fish better at farther out distances,,less dead spots and less screen clutter.Until 35ft out there pretty close though,32 just has some dead spots every now and then.

Dbllunger

So the bassholes are converting to crapholes? Lort help us!:p