Live scope install

yesmarwh

2-Step Enabled
Just got a garmin ultra 126sv and livescope 34 plus. Before I start my install, I'm looking for any insight on anything to watch out for, mistakes, shortcut?, things to make sure you do ect. For now I plan on using my third battery, that's in the back, just for livescope. May add the garmin 126 to this battery too. The battery is 2 years old, has been my spare for just in case, but never used. Plan to attach the livescope to my trolling motor for now. Have watched some YouTube videos. Thanks for any input.

bluball

Good heavy gauge wire,put a disconnect at the battery to kill the power when not in use.Will be fine your unit and livescope on the ssme battery.Most usually put them on a mount upfront so you can see it better and change setting easier.We sell alot of cornfield crappie mounts to mount the unit on.

yesmarwh

2-Step Enabled
I was wondering about hooking my livescope to a dewalt battery with the correct adapter. Saw it on YouTube. Anyone know if this is bad way to go?

ADR

I was wondering about hooking my livescope to a dewalt battery with the correct adapter. Saw it on YouTube. Anyone know if this is bad way to go?
I run mine on Milwaukee batteries. If you check garmins web sight it shows you can run Livescope and even many of their graphs at higher than 12 volts

Hduke86

Voids the warranty. I wouldn't do it, but to each their own. Regular 12V marine lithium batteries are not as pricey as they once were.
Sort of like the time I wanted to "test" my new fancy expensive led rope lighting in and around my boat. I hooked a 20v Milwaukee battery to them to see how they would look and if they would cast a shadow inside I didn't want. Well after about a minute I was smelling this plastic smell. I went to unhook the battery and the led rope close to the battery was like a gel. Lesson learned 🤣

Spurhunter

Sort of like the time I wanted to "test" my new fancy expensive led rope lighting in and around my boat. I hooked a 20v Milwaukee battery to them to see how they would look and if they would cast a shadow inside I didn't want. Well after about a minute I was smelling this plastic smell. I went to unhook the battery and the led rope close to the battery was like a gel. Lesson learned 🤣
"Smelling this plastic smell". 🤣 Always a bad sign.

ADR

Voids the warranty. I wouldn't do it, but to each their own. Regular 12V marine lithium batteries are not as pricey as they once were.
1691337753187.png

This is directly from the garmin website. I find it difficult to believe that it would void the warranty if the website allows for up to 32 volts.

Big Pop

Working just fine with Livescope with the two Dewalt style batteries. One for the screen and other for the unit. Lasts about 4 hours or so for the unit all day with the screen.

WTM

i wouldnt do it, even to the gls10 and i surely wouldnt to an echomap mfd. the transient (not homeless people) from those batteries can be enough to burnout the first LDO regulator in the power section.

garmin and lowrance doesnt recommend it but humminbird said the helix can take the transient spike. i kind of doubt it since they use the same type circuit but hey they will repair it for you for about $400.

garmin has also said that theyve already had to repair several from folks using these batteries. ive seen a couple burned out as well.

folks listen to this stuff on youtube and social media and take it as gospel. usually from someone that posts the spec page out of the manual without very little knowledge of electronics.

it also happens with installers and lithium battery salemen. they claim that 16v batteries will use less power and run cooler than 12v. this is pretty much nonsense. run 16v to an input of a 10v output LDO and it gets you 6v (3/7w) heat dissipation of over 100 degrees of extra heat dissipation. a lot of heat for an LDO thats not heatsinked and will lead to premature failure. its another reason minn kota issues a warning with LFP batteries and only running their motors at 85%. ive seen these motors get so hot on 36v motors that it peels the paint off them.

IMG_1430.jpeg

WTM

oh yeah, to answer the question about why the specs listed and why garmin lists those. its because of boat charging systems that may use up to 32v systems which is an intermittent higher voltage while the engine is running. its not a constant voltage being applied for 8 hours or more like it is when youre fishing.