Lime, Fertilizer and No Plow Question?

plinker22

I plan to work up some small areas to plant Imperial "No Plow" for fall. Being in Tn, the lable says to plant around August 15.

Should I just work up the land today (rake, add lime and fertilizer) and then plant the "No Plow" seed in two more weeks, or should I go ahead and plant today also? Educated input appreciated!

jaypz4

wait untill the end of august! the stuff will come up fast with a good rain! we planted some last year and it's great.... good luck! we won't plant till the end of the month....

HOOK

I am working on a deep woods plot this season and here is what I have done. I have a spot that receives scattered light for about 4 hours a day. That should be enough. The first of July I sprayed herbacide to kill off the spot. Yesterday, I went in and took a weed eater and ate debris to the dirt. Now I am pretty much ready. Come mid August , or thereafter depending on forecasted rain, all I have to do is a little raking, spread my seed, and cultipack it with the 4 wheeler.

PS: It's too late for any liming to be effective. That (if needed) should have been done in spring or early summer.

JohnnyDollar

If lime is needed then go ahead and lime the plot. It wont help with the plot this fall but next spring the lime will have been in the ground long enough to start working. If you are goint to plant clover and live close to your land then go ahead and rake the land but wait till you are going to get some rain, then go and fling the seed out on top of the ground and don't cover the seed-let the rain cover the seed. That keeps the seed from being covered too deep.

plinker22

Guys, I went ahead and did some soil samples. They are sent off to UT and I am awaitig their analysis! Being that this is August 1, should I spray the grass, weeds in the plot with Roundup? Anythng I should do right now?

The spot will be small, approximately 20 feet wide by 150 feet long. Eventhough I bought the "No Plow" seed, now I have decide to till and drap the ground prior to planting? Should I do that now, or spray the plot with Roundup? Should I till the ground before or after I spread the fertilizer and lime?

As you can tell, I am now to this? HELP!!!

JohnnyDollar

if you can mow it first then spray it. by mowing it first all the weeds are the same height and they all get sprayed. plus after you mow the weeds this will stimulate growth and the weeds will suck the round-up faster and work quicker. it doesn't matter if you till before or after you spread the fert and lime. be sure you don't cover the clover seed too deep or it will not grow, it only needs to be covered 1/4 inch deep.

plinker22

BSK said:
Are you going to turn the ground or plant as "No Plow?"

I bought the Imperial "No Plow" seed. I intended to just lime, fetilize and broadcast spread the seed on the top of the ground. Now, if it will result in a better food plot, I intend to till the ground prior to seeding.

Advice? I'm just trying get the best food plot for the deer!

Latest posts