Likely my last hunt

44 mag

Friday was a bitter sweet day for me. It was likely my last hunt with my dad. It's been close to 25 years since I have got to hunt with my dad. I moved away for college and although I live closer to him than I use to it's still a 4 hour drive one way. Mom and dad made the drive to see my daughter's first high school choir concert on Thursday and stayed to see my youngest play basketball on Saturday. So on Friday while we had nothing to do Dad said he wanted to go hunting.

Like any good dad would do I held my son out of school so that he could go hunting with us. It was his first and probably only opportunity to hunt with his grandfather.

This was the only picture I got. We did see a couple deer including one small buck. We didn't kill anything, but to be honest that's not what we were there for. Seeing the deer was just a bonus.

Attachments

• IMG_9471.jpeg
    IMG_9471.jpeg
    16.3 KB · Views: 7

Big Gun

Very cool. My dad didn't deer hunt, he duck hunted before my brother and I were born, but he took us fishing quite a bit. I got to duck hunt with him once before he passed in '92. Wish we had portable cameras back then.

rem270

Glad y'all were able to get out there. Your son will remember the times of missing school and being in the woods far more than what he would've done in school that day. I know I sure do anyways. Sorry it's possibly the last time y'all will get to go with your dad, but glad you were able to.

dsa5455

Honestly, it only takes one hunt to build a memory in your son's mind as well as both you and your dad. I am 68 and can still remember at age 7 or 8 my dad taking me squirrel hunting one time. We saw one squirrel that day and he told me to shoot but I hesitated and he did what any good dad would do. Said #$&%! lifted his gun and shot the squirrel and told me next time I tell to shoot "SHOOT". Believe me I look back with fondness of that one memory. Glad you had that day together.

7mmWSM

You're going to look back one day and realize 4hrs wasn't really that far away.
Looks like it was a good day for y'all.

bbuck14

Great story! Making memories.
I remember the last time Dad and I got to hunt together. He's been gone 17 years now.
I remember ours as well. Dad killed an 8pt and 2 days later he was diagnosed with brain cancer. He's been gone 14yrs now.

Dully

Never got to hunt with my dad,he past when I was 4 yrs old,but took my son when he was about 4 yrs old still going together he's 55 now,been taking grandson for about 20 yrs ,he's 26 now,they just know how much it means to me,

Latest posts