Let's get serious about Older bucks...pt 2

Interesting thread, pt 1. Not surprising, but interesting.

I started hunting deer in Tennessee in 1981. Deer hunting was different then to say the least. There was actually a group of people called stump sitters who studied deer behavior year round by simply sitting and watching deer behavior. Their published reports were found in many of the common magazines, not the least of which was Deer and Deer Hunting.

I had never heard of a game camera, or a laptop let alone a cell phone.

Biologists and game management has changed DRAMATICALLY since then.

A truly HUGE buck around here was a 180 pound dressed 8 point that might score 140.

Bowhunting was VERY unpopular and the equipment was very crude.

Laser rangefinders were unheard of and tree stands were wooden and dangerous.

There were no safety harnesses, only waist belts.

No mechanical broadheads.

No inline muzzleloaders (at least I never saw one).

And ANY deer track, not deer, but deer track, SERIOUSLY, was worthy of discussion. How fresh, which way, buck or doe, how big, etc...

Research about the how to's and where's was NOT at your finger tips on a computer or cell phone. It was gained through discussions at local archery shops and shooting events and from anyone who you might have heard had killed a deer.
Gathering info in 1981 about how and where to kill a deer by bow was about like trying to guess the right numbers for the powerball.

And putting it all together to actually put an arrow through a deer and recover it, on your own, was definitely hitting the lottery.

Fast forward to 2016.
Things are definitely different now. Information is just a click or tap away. Not that this is a bad thing at all. But it seems we have all gotten away from the enjoyment of hunting. And turned it in to something competitive.

Don't get me wrong, deer hunting IS competitive. But the competitors are not the hunters. They are supposed to be the hunter and the animal.

It seems only natural that as a hunter enjoys his journey to becoming a better, more accomplished hunter, he would naturally want to "raise the bar" so to speak on his own personal accomplishments. In other words it may not feel quite as rewarding or satisfying to him to kill that fawn he killed that first year or three when he started.
And if this is the case, then it seems only natural that he would want to set his own goals accordingly so as to still feel the same enjoyment as he did.
This may or may not be true for other hunters but I have never met any hunter who did not enjoy his hunt. Because if he did not enjoy the hunt, he quit.

So we all hunt for enjoyment. And sometimes we adapt our hunting lifestyle/choices to accomadate our experience.

What I do not understand is how some hunters want to manipulate other fellow hunters deer hunting experience, to try to increase their own odds for killing an animal that already exists in huntable numbers in this state.

It never ceases to amaze me how we all associate skill level with antler size. The reality is, in most cases, nothing could be further from the truth.

There are few deer in the woods easier to kill (by gun or bow) than the low pressured (or no pressured) rut crazed buck (or doe).
Yet we naturally associate an almost hero like status with those hunter who kill one that just happens to have a large rack.

Conversely, there are fewer deer, in the woods, harder to kill (by gun or bow) than a mature, highly pressured, matriarch doe.

In fact, the only reason so many more of these does are killed than their buck counter part, is simply because of sheer numbers. And for the sake of herd health, it is my understanding that this needs to be so.

There is absolutely ZERO biological evidence to support that a reduction from a 3 buck limit, to a 2 buck limit or even 1, will be good for the entire deer herd in Tennessee. ZERO!

Likewise there is little evidence that it will hurt it either. Except for the sake of hunter enjoyment.

So why do it?

If it were true that going to a 2 or 1 or 0 buck limit were best for the herd of deer in Tennessee, I would be screaming support from the roof tops. But until TWRA Biologists, AS A GROUP, support this notion. I AM OUT!

Besides, IMO, there will be little if any noticable difference in the number of mature bucks taken in Tennessee by reducing the buck limit (over the long haul) as long as we continue to have the liberal long range rifle seasons we now enjoy.

Personally, I really enjoy the seasons the way they are now. I want what is best for the deer herd, as deemed this way by the experts, not the arm chair big antler enthusiasts.

Headhunter

102":2cm7u0k5 said:

I started hunting deer in Tennessee in 1981. Deer hunting was different then to say the least. There was actually a group of people called stump sitters who studied deer behavior year round by simply sitting and watching deer behavior. Their published reports were found in many of the common magazines, not the least of which was Deer and Deer Hunting.

A truly HUGE buck around here was a 180 pound dressed 8 point that might score 140.

And ANY deer track, not deer, but deer track, SERIOUSLY, was worthy of discussion. How fresh, which way, buck or doe, how big, etc...

Research about the how to's and where's was NOT at your finger tips on a computer or cell phone. It was gained through discussions at local archery shops and shooting events and from anyone who you might have heard had killed a deer.
Gathering info in 1981 about how and where to kill a deer by bow was about like trying to guess the right numbers for the powerball.

And putting it all together to actually put an arrow through a deer and recover it, on your own, was definitely hitting the lottery.

Fast forward to 2016.
Things are definitely different now. Information is just a click or tap away. Not that this is a bad thing at all. But it seems we have all gotten away from the enjoyment of hunting. And turned it in to something competitive.

Don't get me wrong, deer hunting IS competitive. But the competitors are not the hunters. They are supposed to be the hunter and the animal.

It seems only natural that as a hunter enjoys his journey to becoming a better, more accomplished hunter, he would naturally want to "raise the bar" so to speak on his own personal accomplishments. In other words it may not feel quite as rewarding or satisfying to him to kill that fawn he killed that first year or three when he started.
And if this is the case, then it seems only natural that he would want to set his own goals accordingly so as to still feel the same enjoyment as he did.
This may or may not be true for other hunters but I have never met any hunter who did not enjoy his hunt. Because if he did not enjoy the hunt, he quit.

So we all hunt for enjoyment. And sometimes we adapt our hunting lifestyle/choices to accomadate our experience.

What I do not understand is how some hunters want to manipulate other fellow hunters deer hunting experience, to try to increase their own odds for killing an animal that already exists in huntable numbers in this state.

It never ceases to amaze me how we all associate skill level with antler size. The reality is, in most cases, nothing could be further from the truth.

There are few deer in the woods easier to kill (by gun or bow) than the low pressured (or no pressured) rut crazed buck (or doe).
Yet we naturally associate an almost hero like status with those hunter who kill one that just happens to have a large rack.

Conversely, there are fewer deer, in the woods, harder to kill (by gun or bow) than a mature, highly pressured, matriarch doe.

In fact, the only reason so many more of these does are killed than their buck counter part, is simply because of sheer numbers. And for the sake of herd health, it is my understanding that this needs to be so.

There is absolutely ZERO biological evidence to support that a reduction from a 3 buck limit, to a 2 buck limit or even 1, will be good for the entire deer herd in Tennessee. ZERO!

Likewise there is little evidence that it will hurt it either. Except for the sake of hunter enjoyment.

So why do it?

If it were true that going to a 2 or 1 or 0 buck limit were best for the herd of deer in Tennessee, I would be screaming support from the roof tops. But until TWRA Biologists, AS A GROUP, support this notion. I AM OUT!

Besides, IMO, there will be little if any noticable difference in the number of mature bucks taken in Tennessee by reducing the buck limit (over the long haul) as long as we continue to have the liberal long range rifle seasons we now enjoy.

Personally, I really enjoy the seasons the way they are now. I want what is best for the deer herd, as deemed this way by the experts, not the arm chair big antler enthusiasts.

102, a 180 lb field dressed 140" 8 pointer is still a huge buck, always has been, always will be in Tennessee. I personally saw 2 different bucks weighed and that were killed in La Vergne that field dressed 269 lbs (private land) and 244 lbs (on Priest) late 1980's.

There were areas then that had lots of deer. LBL was loaded. I started bowhunting in 1986 and we had a few places that had piles of deer.

As early as 1985, I had friends that were averaging killing 8, 9, or even 10 bucks a year. A few of them basically only bow hunted.

As for your last sentence, what is Chuck Yoest? His opinion doesn't matter? There are biological reasons and many others for lowering the buck limit and I all for it.

Matador

I agreee with everything you said 102. I started deer hunting in 1979. There was no unit L then. Best I remember there wasn't a cell phone in everyone's hand either.I have several of the pamphlet style Hunting and Trapping Guide put out by TWRA that shows the state divided into 3 units. I remember hunting muzzleloading in Oct. In unit B my hunting guide for the 92-93 season shows it being Oct 17 to Oct 25. I remember that I could sit and hear the old steam engine come up the valley blowing its horn at the crossings in Dayton. Yeah I really enjoyed hunting more back then

Headhunter wrote,
"102, a 180 lb field dressed 140" 8 pointer is still a huge buck, always has been, always will be in Tennessee. I personally saw 2 different bucks weighed and that were killed in La Vergne that field dressed 269 lbs (private land) and 244 lbs (on Priest) late 1980's. "

Exactly my point HH. EXACTLY what I am trying to point out.
We had good bucks back in the early 1980's when the buck limit was ELEVEN.

And we still do!!!

Huntable numbers.

Reducing the buck limit likely deminishes many Tennessee deer hunters outdoor experience significantly while doing little or nothing to either improve overall herd health, or increase odds of any antler enthusiast in killing any large antlered deer.

Hunter 257W

Why is it implied that the 2 buck limit forces hunter to now shoot only huge racked bucks? You can still shoot two 3 inch spikes if you want to. Nobody is forcing hunters to wait for a big buck.

Also, I keep reading how the government has been invoked to bend the will of hunters with this new 2 buck limit. The false implication being that the government (TWRA) was never involved with hunting regulations before this. Ever since game laws came into being years ago the government has been setting limits and telling hunters what they could shoot.

AXL78

Nope, they aren't letting us shoot that 3rd 6 point, that's for them next year, or the next, depending on how he develops. J/K

blueball

102":psdjmfqy said:
Headhunter wrote,
"102, a 180 lb field dressed 140" 8 pointer is still a huge buck, always has been, always will be in Tennessee. I personally saw 2 different bucks weighed and that were killed in La Vergne that field dressed 269 lbs (private land) and 244 lbs (on Priest) late 1980's. "

And we still do!!!

Huntable numbers.

Reducing the buck limit likely deminishes many Tennessee deer hunters outdoor experience significantly while doing little or nothing to either improve overall herd health, or increase odds of any antler enthusiast in killing any large antlered deer.
all i can say is come hunt with me a week and you will see,friends at work call it the petting zoo,lol.If a few bucks are saved it will help kids,disabled that hunt,and hunter success for the people that dont see many bucks.I promse my friends 11yr old has been hunting since he was 9yrs old and shoots a good buck or two every year.The good hunting is on one side that the neighbors own 1800 acres and shoot bg bucks and does as we do.We hunt close to 1000 acres and just one 100 acre side produces for the kids every year,nowhere else.If that dont help hunter experience i dont know what would.Which for our situation it really dont matter what the buck limit is as long as us and the neighbors keep doing our thing,but it would be nice to see others benifet like us.iI use to hunt some land by my house probally 300 acres and would be lucky to even see a couple deer a week,thats who it might help,i did say might :poke:

Winchester

102":duzuj3n8 said:

Fast forward to 2016.

So why do it?

As usual right on the money 102. I too hunted my first yr in 1981 and TN has came so far since then its almost unbelievable! I have a good friend who owns and operates one of, if not THE, largest deer processing business in TN. and I can vouch for what you stated, as I have saw thousands per yr from all over the state, weighed, aged, scored, etc for decades now. I agree with everything you said, ON THE MONEY!!

Headhunter

102":288npo9n said:
Headhunter wrote,

And we still do!!!

Huntable numbers.

I disagree, there were good bucks then, actually great bucks, but nothing like today and you are telling me if we had never changed from the 11 buck limit we would have what we do today?

Roost 1

102":i0yu35c7 said:
Headhunter wrote,

And we still do!!!

Huntable numbers.

Not sure that I fully understand how reducing the buck limit diminishes the hunters outdoor experience. When KY reduced the buck limit from 2 to 1 I never felt this, now I might not have liked it because I liked being able to kill a buck with bow and rifle. However once my mindset was changed to the fact that I only get 1 buck my hunting experience was greatly increased when I did tag that 1 buck and in all honesty the experience just gets better. Now I must admit I don't expect to kill a nice buck every year, but I love the thrill of the chase more now than ever. If we were still able to kill multiple bucks in KY I truly doubt my outdoor experience would be such the thrill because I would most likely shoot some buck every year, just to shoot one, as a lot of my buddies do now.. In my opinion a person's outdoor experience actually starts with their mindset, not the regulations in the hunting guide.

jumpmaster21

Well said Roost! My thoughts exactly... The quality and make of the hunt is in the eyes of the "Hunter", not what others think or the misconceptions that are portrayed by television. I enjoy the one buck limit that KY instituted, and in my opinion it has made me a more seasoned hunter, as I try to target specific animals with archery equipment. Sometimes I'm lucky and succeed and other times I eat tag soup, but at the end of the day it's my choice to be selective.

Roost 1

jumpmaster21":1ru9teu7 said:
Well said Roost! My thoughts exactly... The quality and make of the hunt is in the eyes of the "Hunter", not what others think or the misconceptions that are portrayed by television. I enjoy the one buck limit that KY instituted, and in my opinion it has made me a more seasoned hunter, as I try to target specific animals with archery equipment. Sometimes I'm lucky and succeed and other times I eat tag soup, but at the end of the day it's my choice to be selective.

Good to see you post Aaron, I was just wondering the other day if you were still around. Any luck at the fort this year?

fairchaser

Roost, you are so right about the hunters mindset. Many changes to the rules have happened over the decades some good and some not so good but the evidence is in. We are much better off now! People who say it won't make a difference need some patience and confidence in the biologist with the state. One less buck is not gonna kill you or ruin your hunt. You just might be pleasantly surprised what you get in return in a few years.

Latest posts